Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
Anyone have this issue?
My display is slightly darker (and yellower) on the top left corner. I didn't notice it at first but now I notice it I can't unsee it anymore.
I come from a country without Apple Genius Bar and the service of the resellers here are terrible. It would take a month or two to get my phone replaced.
Worse still, I checked the display units at the resellers and they have the same issue too. So I don't know if I should play the lottery or what.. Now.
Should I take it to exchange now or should I wait a couple of months until this issue is resolved :(
Every other thing about this phone is perfect.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I played the lottery with my iPhone 5 and lost, but in retrospect the time I spent trying to get the "perfect" phone was such a waste of time. I lived with it for 3 years and you just get past it. I'm not going to argue that at this price point there should better quality control, but honestly, you just get used to it because these are small issues that don't affect the usefulness of the phone. Over time, the phone goes from a shiny new toy to your personal tool, and maybe picks up a few scratches and nicks. You just start taking it out of your pocket to actually use it and not focus on the small aesthetic stuff keeping it from being that perfect device. It simply stops mattering.

So you get to this point and then the 7 or 7s is released. Now you really don't care because the newest shiny is on the horizon and you want that. And guess what, whoever you sell or trade the old phone to will likely not care about that little screen issue that bugged you so much at the beginning.

This is just my perspective from experience. Apple makes high quality products and does well to try and resolve them when customers aren't happy. But I personally have dialed back what I deem defective because it is not worth my time to deal with something that does not net me any tangible benefit outside of satisfying the brief and fleeting expectation of getting the latest perfect, blue tint screened, evenly lit, clicky-but-not-too-clicky home button featuring iPhone.

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
I played the lottery with my iPhone 5 and lost, but in retrospect the time I spent trying to get the "perfect" phone was such a waste of time. I lived with it for 3 years and you just get past it. I'm not going to argue that at this price point there should better quality control, but honestly, you just get used to it because these are small issues that don't affect the usefulness of the phone. Over time, the phone goes from a shiny new toy to your personal tool, and maybe picks up a few scratches and nicks. You just start taking it out of your pocket to actually use it and not focus on the small aesthetic stuff keeping it from being that perfect device. It simply stops mattering.

So you get to this point and then the 7 or 7s is released. Now you really don't care because the newest shiny is on the horizon and you want that. And guess what, whoever you sell or trade the old phone to will likely not care about that little screen issue that bugged you so much at the beginning.

This is just my perspective from experience. Apple makes high quality products and does well to try and resolve them when customers aren't happy. But I personally have dialed back what I deem defective because it is not worth my time to deal with something that does not net me any tangible benefit outside of satisfying the brief and fleeting expectation of getting the latest perfect, blue tint screened, evenly lit, clicky-but-not-too-clicky home button featuring iPhone.
Thank you... Guess I'll keep this phone till the 7S haha :p

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Oct 23, 2008
This issue is also apparent on my iPhone 6. Not bothered by it though, it's only a very minimal shift in color. Perhaps the issue is worse for you.

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
Did have this on my 6, was in the upper right hand corner though, got less noticeable the brighter you made the screen. Unlucky for me I hardly ever use my phone past half brightness lol but my 6S doesn't have it, I've seen it on a lot of 6's though.

Reactions: kokhoong0624

IconIc215

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013

Couldn't have said it any better myself!!! I almost feel like people sometimes need a reality check in their quest for the "perfect" phone. I get it they aren't cheap...but in the grand scheme of things aren't expensive either. Not to get off topic but I bought an expensive car recently. I didn't start crawling under it, examining every square inch of the vehicle at the dealership...I grabbed the keys and drove the damn thing...Even as pricey as the car was there are bound to be flaws. But you absolutely nailed my thinking this time and every other time whenever there is a new iPhone launch. Soon enough all of this will be behind you us the rumors start to come for the 7 and this will all seem crazy how much time was spent worrying about little stuff. Just use and enjoy the phone and stop coming here to find new threads documenting new issues.

ProMod

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2005
I had this same issue with my 6S, and so did just about every one I saw on display at the Apple Store. It's extremely common. I happened to exchange mine for a different issue, and the one I received does not have the darker/yellower top, but does have what is being called the "book spine" effect where the right and left sides get darker right at the edge. Exchange if you must, but the odds are very high that your next one will have the same issue or some other imperfection with the display.

kokhoong0624

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 23, 2015
The problem is I got this from a reseller and the service they offer here are pretty bad and i have to go phoneless for a month or two -___- (just sold my 5). (if not i would go and get an exchange immediately)
Other aspects of the phones are perfect.. Guess I'll keep it for the next two years..

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
The problem is I got this from a reseller and the service they offer here are pretty bad and i have to go phoneless for a month or two -___- (just sold my 5). (if not i would go and get an exchange immediately)
Other aspects of the phones are perfect.. Guess I'll keep it for the next two years..
Do an express replacement through Apple

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
The top right area of my screen is darker. I haven't noticed any yellowing though. If I look at the screen very carefully, I notice there's one darker stripe towards a top and then say the lower 50% of the screen is a darker square shape and then right in the middle of that square is a normal brightness circle shape.

However, as @cruzmisl perfectly described, as time passes and the "new shiny toy" effect wears off, you realize you've completely forgotten about the issues and wouldn't be bothered with the hassle of getting a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.