iPhone 6s Dramatic Battery Drop Since iOS 9.3/9.3.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oliver G, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Oliver G macrumors regular

Has anyone seen any dramatic drop in battery life on their iPhone 6s since iOS 9.3 and 9.3.1 have been released?

Usually when I go for my regular 90 minute run with the GPS on and music playing my battery drops from 100% to around 80-85%. Ever since I upgraded to iOS 9.3 and 9.3.1 it is dropping to 60%-65%, so much so that I can actually see the 1% drops around twice a minute.

Nothing unusual is showing in the Battery section of the settings with no screen or background activities showing excessive time and nothing out of the ordinary. As I am typing this it is currently showing 1h 10 mins of use with the battery at 65%, normally this would be at around 85% for me.

It may not be an issue with 9.3 or 9.3.1 but this only started happing on the actual release day of 9.3 and the recent release of 9.3.1 has not helped at all.

If I go for the run with Airplane Mode on and just the music playing it also drains the battery down to around 65%-70% on a 90 minute run so I can't see it being a GPS, Bluetooth or Apple Watch issue.

I have reset all settings and wiped and restored the entire device which has not helped in anyway.

The other strange thing is that when I plug it in to be charged from around the 65% mark it is charging remarkably fast going back up to around 80% in around 3-4 minutes and up to 90% in around 10 minutes, again this has only been happing since the dramatic drops starting happing at the release of 9.3

Has anyone else got this issue or any advice on what to do? Is there something new in 9.3 that I have not turned off that is draining it?

Apologies if I posted this in the wrong section.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 3, 2016 ---
    This is what has been using the battery according to the Battery page, nothing looks abnormal and yet a normal 90 min run drains it to 65%.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I noticed an odd battery drop on my 6s Plus yesterday. I was trying to add 13 pictures to my FB page in a 4G area and the phone got quite warm.
    Last night I fell asleep while I was rewatching previous seasons of The Walking Dead in bed before tonight's season finale. I started out with 100% battery and this morning it was at 31%.
    I'm going to keep an eye on it today but I'm pretty sure my usage caused the drops.

3. fausername5 macrumors newbie

I thought you switched to an SE...

4. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Battery Drop Gate. I coined this phrase.

I should add my 9.7 iPad Pro has beast battery. 11+ hours on normal use.

5. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I'm running it alongside my Plus. I'm not giving up my Plus!❤

6. Qbnkelt, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016

Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

OP-check what apps you've selected to use cellular. Al mine had suddenly been authorised which was not my last setting.
    Also, Siri had used 5% of my battery and I hadn't used Siri *at all.*. So somethings off. I've rebooted and I'll be monitoring it. But because I rebooted my stats are now showing only --- --- until my next full charge.
    I've dropped 10% just this morning with the phone sitting in the table. That should not happen.

7. Adriano73 macrumors newbie

Adriano73

Occasionally over the years I've had to do a full reset and set up phone from scratch to iron out some post update problems. It's a pain but worth a try if annoying problems won't go away.

8. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

I'm trying to avoid that. But what's odd is that Siri keeps rising in percentage use even after I've turned it off.
    I'd really hate to do a full reset.

9. Oliver G thread starter macrumors regular

I think your problem might be a little different to mine, as nothing unusual is showing in my battery usage (see above pictures) yet after a 90 minute walk/run it is down to 65%.

I would hate to do a full reset as I have a lot of app data and Apple Watch data.

10. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Ah OK. Mine is definitely behaving strangely. Particularly Siri.
    Dang I hate resets.

11. Oliver G thread starter macrumors regular

Mine started pretty much as soon as 9.3 was released.

12. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

Well mine has settled down to normal after resetting settings and turning off Siri. Very odd.

13. Htex macrumors newbie

Me too Oliver! I have an iPhone 6. Dramatic decrease in battery life since I downloaded 9.3.1 AND the latest "bug fix" Apple pushed this week. I have done everything to resolve the issue except a complete re-install.

Please let me know if you find a resolution Oliver.

Thank you

14. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

I would guess it is your weak cellular signal strength but you said the same battery draining happens with airplane mode.

15. Henryd44 macrumors newbie

I've had a similar problem, but a lot of my apps have used more background activity than on screen time. Some apps are regular apps you wouldn't expect, I.e battery doctor. I have background app refresh off. What's the fix for background activity usage when background app refresh is off?

16. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

I noticed that using the "Night Mode" drains battery really really fast. I just updated thinking that it would help save battery. :(