iPhone 6s = Dramatically better battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleguy123, Jun 28, 2015.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I was just thinking about this. It's definitely possible when you consider:

The iPad Air 2's processor is Tri-Core and the battery life is still the same as the Air's despite the battery being 1500maH smaller. The iPhone might stay dual core and have even more efficiency.

The iPhone 6s will be thicker than the old phone. More volume for a larger battery.

Better battery life is a major focus in iOS 9. Maybe the iPhone 6s will have further optimizations for low power mode that require hardware.

Honestly, this would be a feature that would make it certain that I would upgrade. Do you think it's possible or likely?

2. seble macrumors 6502a

I'd love that to be the case. I'm on an iPhone 5S at the moment and can't wait to upgrade. I'm sick and tired of charging my phone three times a day. That's pushing me towards the 6 plus as everyone says what amazing battery it has, but truth is, the size of the normal six is much preffered.

Essentially, if they can get the 6s battery close to the 6 plus I'll defineitely consider it!

3. metsjetsfan macrumors 65816

Highly doubt it with the ios9 efficiencies they will probably still make the battery around the same size. Force touch will probably use up a little more battery as well and room inside. Also 2 GB ram will use up more batt life as well. Apple probably has sliders with tradeoffs on the battery life and they are happy where its at. To them and the engineerrs that is technically an increase in battery life adding functionality and power while keeping batt life the same.

That being said hope you are right!

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm sure they'll tout some improvement but I'm rather skeptical of any possible huge improvements. I don't think the battery technology has changed sufficiently between last year and this year.

5. appleguy123, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2015

appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Even if the efficency of the A9 vs the A8 matches the difference between A8 and A8X and the battery is the same size, we'd probably see a 20% improvement (because the iPad Air 2 has the same battery life with a 15% smaller battery and the screen is more power hungry on the iPad than iPhone).

6. seble macrumors 6502a

Plus look at the 5 vs the 5s, the 5s had a very slightly larger battery over the 5.

7. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Even if the battery capacity was increased and the processor was made more efficient, I think Apple would use that extra battery life overhead somewhere else - maybe a QHD screen, or more sensors, or multitasking. That has been the story with any battery gains for the past few years - quickly gets gobbled up by something else on the phones feature set.

8. newellj macrumors 601

I think you're likely right, and if there were some potential battery life improvement, it's quite possible that the "thin" slider gets moved. At the end of the day, I'd be surprised to see any significant change.

9. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I may need to buy the plus when the 7 comes out in 2016.