iPhone 6's Fitbit-gate!!!! Motion track is dead.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Sep 29, 2014.

1. MrXiro, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm trying to be funny... since people like to make issues out of non-issues.

But FYI for anyone who uses the Fitbit app to track their steps and hasn't gotten their iPhone 6. Motion Track doesn't work. I'm guessing it's because they only have it turned on for the iPhone 5s. It doesn't work for the iPad either which uses the M7.

I'm assuming they'll fix that with the next update. But wanted to come here and complain/let people know. :p

I wonder how many people will just read the headline; not read the post and then leave a disparaging comment towards me because they don't realize I'm joking...

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

I actually forgot to plug in my phone last night before I went to sleep and it didn't charge.

#chargegate #iPhonechargeprobs #ipaid900dollarsforthispaperweight

3. apple.snapple macrumors regular

I think with all these "gates", iPhone 6 has turned in to a #gategate

4. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

motion track for the fitbit app? I'm guessing its because the app hasn't been updated yet.

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

They updated on 9/19... you think they would have figured it out by the day after release but nope. As I stated; I'm assuming they will fix it in the next update.

But for now if you count on using it. It won't work.

6. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I use a fitbit One to track my daily steps. I also have a horrible habit of bouncing my knees when I sit.

The motion sensor in the iPhone 6 counts my bouncing knee movement as steps. I can easily have thousands of additional steps in a day of sitting at my job.

The stairs are also not consistent. One day the fitbit can be a dozen or so more flights higher versus the motion sensor. Other days, the motion sensor can be off by just as many.

Also, a small device that you can wear is a lot easier to use than a phone as a tracking device. You can wear a fitbit to bed and it will track your steps if you wake up to get a drink, use the bathroom, take care of a sick child, etc. You cannot always remember to pick up your phone straight out of a slumber. Even at work, you can be sitting at your desk with your phone plugged in charging. Will you always remember to pick it up is you go get something off of the printer? Step across the aisle to talk to a co-worker?

I guess what I am saying it that it is hard to use your phone as a health activity tracking device. Maybe the Apple Watch will be that saving device. However, a starting price of $349, especially for someone who has really never worn a watch in my 42 years, is pretty steep, IMO. Then again, maybe we will all need to re-learn how to use the phone and make it even more of our daily lives (both awake and asleep) if we are serious about using it as a tool.

/rant ;)

7. MrXiro, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I think you take the step tracking too literal. It's about keeping moving.

Example; I set my goal at 20k steps a day. It doesn't matter how much leg bouncing you will be hard pressed to keep it up daily without going for a walk or jog every day. It doesn't matter to me if I lose those 15 steps between walking to the printer or 40 to bathroom. That isn't the movement you really "want" anyway to keep fit. You want long movement (5+ minutes) to get exercise in.

8. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I agree with you on the movement. I know some people who do take it that literal. They have tried all the various trackers out there and count their steps and determine which one is most accurate.

I am an active person. I run on average 3-4 miles per day, 4-5 times a week. the other days of the week, it is a brisk paced walk with the dog. I also do some lifting, usually with kettlebells or body weight. So, step tracking for me at this point is not as important as it was when I started out 40+ pounds heavier than I am today back in 2012. My weight loss journey then was far more micromanaged that it is today. Particularly, the habits I focused on then are just natural and a part of my life where I do not have to consciously think about them. I still wear the tracker because it is habit, I paid for it, so why not.

I was just making an observation that if you set a goal of say, 10K. One app/device may put you over even though you are not technically "stepping" and are just sitting there. This miscalculation of steps and calories burned as a result could cause some people to see these additional calories burned over their BMR to where they can snack on that doughnut in the break room, or have a second helping at dinner.

I know in the end that if someone really wants to lose weight, they have to make the effort to avoid the bads foods, move as much as possible and get a good night sleep... everyday. After a hile it becomes habit as I mentioned before.

I have also played around with the Withings app and it is usually within 2-3 steps with the health app. Which I would expect, based on they should both pulling information from the M8 chip.

Sorry, to go off topic. ;)

9. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah... get with it... this thread is about my outrage on #fitbitgate. :p

Yeah I'm a fairly active person as well. But I have the eating habits of a teenager. Any person who worked out as much as I do would be either ripped or skinny. I'm just average and stocky cause I eat like every day is Thanksgivings.

10. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I know the thread was started as a funny about the entire -gate notation on the forum.

I get it! :D