iPhone 6s from the US to use in the UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TorontoSS, Oct 29, 2015.

1. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

hi there

My husband is going to the us next month and is going to get us both some iPhone 6s'. I would like to know if it's better to get the T-Mobile one or the sim free one to use in the uk?

If you buy a sim free version in the uk, what is the model number? And what's the model number of the sim free one in the US and the T-Mobile one?

Thanks a lot!

2. gurase macrumors regular

T-Mobile/UK sim-free: A1687
    US sim-free: A1633

The only difference between the 2 models is the A1633 contains an additional LTE band which will be used by AT&T in the US. You shouldn't notice a difference between the 2 models in the UK. I would get the A1633, otherwise just get whichever one is in stock.

3. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your advice. I think we're getting the a1633.

As it includes all of the bands I'm making the assumption that it will work. Thank you!

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Unless you are going portland or some other state with 0 sales tax the saving is pretty pointless.
    When i did the math it was cheaper to just get a contract phone than a US phone with a UK £15/month SIM only deal.

And the £ to $ rate is even worse now..

5. TorontoSS thread starter macrumors 6502

its a good 120£ saving when i calculated (with 8% sales tax). The phone is cheaper and the contract is cheaper...I stopped with contracts about a year ago but thanks for your advice! I use about 7gb of data too so i wouldn't be able to go for the cheapest contract.

6. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I've just re-run the math, i forgot we get a 20% discount off the plan.

To get a US phone for me would be more expensive, 10GB plan is £32/month handset is $917 or £612 making £1379 over 2 years. Where as a contract would be £47/month, £59 for the handset giving a total of £1187 over 2 years or £192 less than a phone from the US.

But good luck.

7. sandiegosouthpaw macrumors newbie

I'm in the Scotland using my T-Mobile (no LTE band 30) iPhone 6s Plus without issue on 0(2). I believe the unlocked/sim-free US iPhone does include band 30, but it doesn't really matter since band 30 isn't used in the UK anyway. I know I can have the VAT waved on large purchases here, perhaps there is something similar when exiting the US?