iPhone 6S from USA sent to me in Thailand

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmouthboyo, Sep 21, 2014.

1. bmouthboyo macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I am in Thailand and as of yet no release date for the iPhone 6S. I have a friend in the USA at the moment who will be returning to the UK in a week or so.

Is it worth me trying to get her to buy an unlocked iphone 6S for the equivalent of £505 and have her send it to me in Thailand then from the UK? I was thinking she could open it all up and just send the charger and phone wrapped up with a note saying 'you left this here when on holiday'. i.e. so customs dont start trying to slap on import tax.

2. Rlong405 macrumors member

There's no such thing as an iPhone 6S. Also they are £535 in the uk not £505.

3. bmouthboyo, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

bmouthboyo thread starter macrumors member

M

Sorry iPhone 6 Plus and it's 649USD which is about £505.

4. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

iPhone 6 Plus starts from £619 in the UK not £505.

5. bmouthboyo thread starter macrumors member

I did not say that was in the UK, maybe I am not being clear enough.

The price of the iPhone 6 Plus is $649 which is the equivellent of about £505 in the UK. Hence, with this saving in mind can anyone see a down side to having my friend who is on holiday in the US grabing me a phone and posting it here, to Thailand when back in the UK?

6. dancedreamfly macrumors member

You still have to consider tax, which varies by state (although there's VAT in the UK as well). Also, your iPhone will only be eligible for warranty in the US because unlike other Apple products, iPhones do not have international warranty. You'll also have to deal with the risks of shipping it from the UK to Thailand. Don't know if you have to pay customs duties on that.

7. chupachup macrumors 6502

Just go to MBK and get one. Or just wait. Why can't you just wait?

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Have you not seen the plethora of posts here, where people ordered phones online and waited in line? Or the others ordering online, seeing what's available in brick and mortar stores and trying to cancel their online order (only to run into issues with their subsidy).

Clearly people are not willing to wait.

9. Rlong405 macrumors member

Ah I understand now, apologies

10. aoconnell macrumors newbie

Hi - were you able to have the phone shipped to you without having to pay a ridiculous tax? My phone was stolen here in Thailand and my family is going to ship me another, but I don't want to have to pay a huge fine on it. Thank you!