iPhone 6's front panel gets destroyed by car

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jclo, Jul 11, 2014.

1. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

So far the 4.7-inch iPhone 6's front panel has survived bending and scratching, but it can't hold up to the weight of a car. It does seem to survive fire, though.

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Im kinda excited. Especially the scratching is legit legit.

Probably dropping it too.

Supposedly gorilla is less likely to crack but i don't know.... it looks like sapphire is very shatter proof, even more so. And my iPhone 5 glass broke from a 4 foot drop the other day soo.... it probably wouldn't be broke right now if it was the sapphire.

3. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Are there videos of the iPhone 5s front panel going thru the same tests ?

4. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Yeah I would like to see a lot of Glass vs Sapphire comparisons right now!

Now that we have the official panels popping up everywhere.

5. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

I mean a car is what tons compared to an iPhone screen. Regardless if its sapphire glass or not, I wouldn't expect anything to not get destroyed by a car.

6. Swift macrumors 65816

Swift

So Far

Apple is not being hurt by this: backing a two-ton car over the sapphire glass shatters it. Well, the rest of the phone is crushed too. Something's gonna bend if a Corolla runs it over.

It will have some failure points. But the tests it passes are the ones you really want to see. No scratching that makes the phone hard to use. Ugly. I wonder how it does with finger-grease?

I must have dropped my iPhone 5 25 times or so, no breaks.

A friend of mine forgot he had his iPad mini in his back pocket when he was getting into the car. Glass and camera not working. The Genius, out of warranty, sold my friend a whole refurb of a 64 GB mini that sold for about $700, for $219. Not bad. That would have broken no matter what material the glass was made of.

7. nerdAFK macrumors regular

nerdAFK

Don't talk to me before anybody treats it with SANDPAPER!

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Sapphire is harder than gorilla glass. This means it will be more scratch resistant but easier to crack or shatter.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Note to self: Don't carry iPhone 6 in pocket with sandpaper.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Pretty soon we will see if it can survive a sledge hammer, an AK47 round and plenty more craziness on the web:D

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

WELL THAT'S IT THEN. I'm totally not buying this! It's too fragile. Steve would've allowed this!! :rolleyes:

12. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

These things should be able to survive a nuclear bomb, and be waterproof to 1000m. Anything less is just rubbish.

13. megapopular macrumors 6502a

The stress test videos so far are good and all but there's a rather large difference once glass is surrounded by a metal or plastic frame depending on the phone... I know they usually have a rubber gasket or something around it, too but the weight of the phone plus the material surrounding the glass leads to a very different dispersal of energy when it's exposed to drops. That's the big difference. The impact is actually intensified quite a lot compared to when it's not inside of a frame. That being said, I'm very interested in seeing the drop tests of a new iPhone with a sapphire front glass.

14. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Do we have any sort of proof that this is actually an iPhone 6 front glass? I mean, it could be anything, really.

It would be awesome if it is indeed the iPhone 6 front grass because it is durable, but these tests don't mean anything unless we actually know that it is.

15. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Yup, that's also true. We don't even know that it's actually sapphire, for that matter. People have keyed and banged sharp edges on gorilla glass and gotten similar results. This could well be an off-the-line piece of glass for some other current or upcoming device, and and we have no way of knowing for sure.

16. nerdAFK macrumors regular

nerdAFK

You are not getting the point.

Current Gorilla Glass is prone to sand, which is made of quartz, a very hard material.
    That's why we need sandpaper to test.

And your pocket has more sands than you realize.

17. mjschabow macrumors 65816

How about nuclear warfare? That's what I'm most concerned about.

18. hypotc macrumors member

You made my day, thanks! :)

19. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I got the point just fine. Not a scratch on any iPhone I've owned since 2007.

20. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

If that first thing was a coin that must be a pleasure to cary around in pockets.