Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
iPhone 6 series is that last models with a headphone jack. Until Apple reintroduces a headphone jack then that's it for me upgrading. Apple has been warned.
So you’ll switch to Android, assuming they continue to use a headphone jack in an ever decreasing number of Android running phones? It will never come back to the iPhone.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
So you’ll switch to Android, assuming they continue to use a headphone jack in an ever decreasing number of Android running phones? It will never come back to the iPhone.
I might never upgrade or stop using a smartphone altogether. That’s the gambit Apple has chosen with their stubborn refusal to keep required features. For sure, I won’t blink first.

davedvdy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Basically my iPhone X has more screen real estate then my iPhone 6S+ while being smaller in size. And screen quality is also a huge improvement with the jump to AMOLED.

The X actually has less screen real estate out of the two. This myth continues for some because of the larger diagonal size on the X to the Plus phones (5.8" vs. 5.5"). The diagonal measurements don't actually account for how much information is actually displayed on the screen due to the wider screen width of the Plus phones.

The X is actually a good deal smaller than a Plus in displayed screen info, which has the same relevant horizontal "points" as the standard 6/6S/7/8...NOT the 6S+ (though the X has more vertical points than the standard 6-8 obviously cause of the lack of bezels):

"Apps, websites, and so on have 414 horizontal “points” — the unit of measurement that the screen is divided into for design purposes — to fill on the Plus, while the X has 375, the same as the regular iPhone 8".

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
He may have to make good on his threat to abandon smartphones altogether. It was slower coming to Android than Apple, but the Android subreddit on Reddit has had it's own multi-response headphone jack threads concerning removal of the jack. Samsung got rid of it a couple models back. There are of course more manufacturers of Android phones so you're bound to find a phone with the jack for the foreseeable future, but past a certain point you're only going to find it on specialty devices I think.

I certainly understand @dogslobber's stance because it's how I feel about the camera bump. However, Apple is far more likely to change direction on the camera bump at some point than they are the headphone jack.

Reactions: GuruZac

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
The X actually has less screen real estate out of the two. This myth continues for some because of the larger diagonal size on the X to the Plus phones (5.8" vs. 5.5"). The diagonal measurements don't actually account for how much information is actually displayed on the screen due to the wider screen width of the Plus phones.

The X is actually a good deal smaller than a Plus in displayed screen info, which has the same relevant horizontal "points" as the standard 6/6S/7/8...NOT the 6S+ (though the X has more vertical points than the standard 6-8 obviously cause of the lack of bezels):

"Apps, websites, and so on have 414 horizontal “points” — the unit of measurement that the screen is divided into for design purposes — to fill on the Plus, while the X has 375, the same as the regular iPhone 8".

this is true. One of the reasons I returned the iPhone 11 and went back to my 6s Plus was the screen. On the 11 the screen felt smaller, I much prefer the screen a bit wider than longer. The keyboard is better on a wider screen

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
How is the iOS 13.x on 6s plus? I am on 10.3 and gettiuthe itch to update the os because this is probably the last year of this phone..

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
How is the iOS 13.x on 6s plus? I am on 10.3 and gettiuthe itch to update the os because this is probably the last year of this phone..

I was on 10.3 too before going to 13
It runs fine..I don't have any issues... however it killed my battery life. I got a replacement since then and it's all ok now

Reactions: throwthedice

throwthedice

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2015
I was on 10.3 too before going to 13
It runs fine..I don't have any issues... however it killed my battery life. I got a replacement since then and it's all ok now
Exactly what I'm worried about. I don't want to spend on a battery replacement in the last year of this phone's lifespan.

judino28

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2008
Before that 6s I used to upgrade every other year. However, I still can’t justify upgrading from my trusty 6s. My only issue is battery life. I basically have to get it replaced every year. I just replaced it last December and it is currently at 86% health (having dropped from 89% in just the past week).

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Exactly what I'm worried about. I don't want to spend on a battery replacement in the last year of this phone's lifespan.

if you are planning to upgrade next year I would say don't update to ios13

I only did it because I bought an iPhone 11 and to easily transfer the data from one phone to the other I updated to iOS 13.. since I didn't like the iPhone 11 I returned it and I was left with my 6s plus with worst battery .. that's why I replaced it last month...

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
if you are planning to upgrade next year I would say don't update to ios13

I only did it because I bought an iPhone 11 and to easily transfer the data from one phone to the other I updated to iOS 13.. since I didn't like the iPhone 11 I returned it and I was left with my 6s plus with worst battery .. that's why I replaced it last month...
You didn’t like the iPhone 11 for what reasons? And then you are keeping your 6s plus with ”worst battery”. Sounds like a self inflicted wound

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
You didn’t like the iPhone 11 for what reasons? And then you are keeping your 6s plus with ”worst battery”. Sounds like a self inflicted wound
I didn't like the 11 because of the size, the screen it's narrower , I don't like Face ID , I don't like the notch ,the screen was always dirty, I might be a minority but the bezel doesn't bother me at all.
with the replaced battery the 6s plus is fine

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I didn't like the 11 because of the size, the screen it's narrower , I don't like Face ID , I don't like the notch ,the screen was always dirty, I might be a minority but the bezel doesn't bother me at all.
with the replaced battery the 6s plus is fine
Whatever

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
the problem with bad battery life is its meant to be a mobile device. So battery depleted = no working device. My 6S is about 4.5 years old, and I have just had to have the third battery fitted.

same here.
i really wanted this 6s to last 4 years for me. and it has.
the updates have not slowed or hobbled this phone at all, in any way.
its a workhorse.

i still love it.
no notch ! i will never buy a phone with a notch in it.
no face id ! i don't want continuous pulsing giving me headaches and eye strain

like you, i have replaced my batter multiple times.
once paid fully by me before the battery replacement program began, and the 2nd time during the battery replacement.

but the battery now is lasting only about 4 or so hours (during more or less continuous browsing use on sometimes (many times?) poor carrier signals.

i do intend to buy the 2020 March model but i am hoping that iPhone 8-like device has the new U-1 chip.

Lakersfan74

Suspended
Oct 17, 2019
Got my 6s in spring 2017. Replaced the battery third party it still sucks. I am gonna upgrade to a iPhone 12 just because 64GB isn't really doing it anymore.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Does look like its still going strong, which hopefully bodes well for all future models as well! :)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
For the win....

this bad boy runs things perfectly smooth... (to me)

must love the optimism Apple brings for these devices and longevity

Personally, I wouldn't buy a 6S in 2019, and even if I still had one I'd probably be convinced that an upgrade to the 11 or 11 Pro made sense - BUT - I agree with your last sentence. Really: what Android phone from that year is still running that well, and is still supported with current updates by the manufacturer? I will guess that the answer is none. My experience with Android has been you can count on no more than one year of real support. For all the criticism about "planned obsolescence," Apple's long term support is really remarkable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.