iPhone 6(S)(+) iPhone 6S GPS takes long to acquire

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cinergi, Apr 29, 2018.

1. cinergi macrumors member

Hello,

I have a GPS issue with my iPhone 6S: when starting a navigation app like Google Maps, the GPS accuracy is initially bad (as indicated by a circle of uncertainty around my position) and it takes approximately 5 minutes to improve. This makes the navigation useless for the first 5 minutes because my position floats around. After that, it works well. Currently running iOS 11.3, but I've been having this issue across several iOS versions. I don't recall when it first started, but it wasn't like this when I first purchased the phone.

For comparison, my wife's iPhone X acquires full GPS accuracy instantly as soon as a navigation app is opened.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    cinergi

2. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

That interesting because my X has been less than stellar and my 6S is always spot on... I’ve tried a fresh install of iOS and it didn’t solve the issue. Sometimes it works properly but it’s random. I have noticed that if I leave it on for long enough it seems to straighten itself out..

3. cinergi thread starter macrumors member

Yes, it does straighten itself out after leaving the nav on for a few minutes. Unfortunately, the first few minutes is often when I need the nav the most, to get out of an unfamiliar area and onto the highway for example.

-cinergi