iPhone 6s - headphone jack or software issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Omega Mac, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Omega Mac macrumors 6502

Having intermittent problems with headphones on my iPhone 6s.

I might be listening to music, a call comes in and I accept (using headphone control) but I can't hear the caller and they can't hear me. Sometimes it's resolved by plug the headphones out/in. Sometimes not.

Same for music sometimes it plays but sometimes I can't hear and the same plug out/in routine works.

Sometimes I plug in I can hear audible click or signal detection (it's connecting live) in the headphones but no iOS output sound, plug out/in again and it might work.

These are some of the overlapping scenarios.

I have not tested it with another set of headphones as I don't have any to hand. I did think it initially hardware i.e. the jack was faulty or maybe the headphones but now I'm not so sure it seems more a software bug and it's only surfaced in the last two weeks. Never had an issue before.

Appreciate any insight on the matter from the millions of users out there! ;)

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sounds software related, but Inspect the 3.5 Jack port to ensure nothing Is lodged inside.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

First thing I'd do is test it out with another set of headphones.
    Then take it from there to isolate the issue.

4. Omega Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Quick update:

Initially used a small hand held air blaster on the mini-jack that seemed to get some results initially but not entirely.

As a final option and breaking with tradition of not updating to the latest iOS until there is a 0.1 update or later I too the plunge and installed iOS 11 and can report that all my headphone mini-jack problems appear to have disappeared and service is resumed as normal.

5. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Did you tried a reboot at all before going to ios11?

I like ios11 but the reports of less battery life bear watching...