iPhone 6(S)(+) Iphone 6s, ios 10.3.3 & Yosemite 10.10.5

puntergood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Hi, i'm extremely frustrated right now, and please bare with me this will be a lengthy post for the purposes of fully explaining my situation.

I'm on my MBP with 1x 960gb SSD hard drive that is partitioned into 2 drives.

1 partition was only 50 gigs and HAD Yosemite 10.10.5 on it - ONLY for the purposes of being able to back up my wife's 64gig iphone6s (10.3.3). My main partition is running 10.8.3 and won't communicate with her phone.

Many backups of my wife's iphone 6s were made with no problem on Yosemite with itunes, and all of her photos / videos were always backed up with Image Capture, which were always backed up to external drives and never left on the Yosemite partition.

However, the partition became too small and could no longer allow me to back up her phone, stating that there was not enough room in itunes during the last backup. I ended up having to backup / clone and reformat the entire drive and create a new larger 200gig partition for Yosemite. This in itself was a task and a half that took WAY too long.

Anyways, fast forward to me today, now finally wanting to back up my wife's iphone6s on the newly partitioned 200gb Yosemite drive.

Initially when i plugged her phone in, Photos would open and displayed all her pics on her iphone. I never use Photos, and prefer to use Image Capture (always have). I closed Photos and opened Image Capture. It gave me the following error:

"This Mac has not yet been granted access to media on "Val's iphone6s". In order to import media to this Mac, tap "Trust" on "Val's Iphone6s". You may need to unlock the device first."

Her iphone was unlocked and i repeatedly hit the "trust" when prompted. Image Capture would not allow me access to her phone. I tried rebooting the computer, Image Capture, her iphone, using a different usb port, as well as using a different cable. Nothing worked. All errors remained the same and kept coming with each attempt.

When i tried to connect her phone to itunes, it gave me the following error:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "Val's iphone6s" because an invalid response was received from the device".

Again, her iphone was unlocked. I tried rebooting the computer, itunes, her iphone, using a different usb port, as well as using a different cable. Nothing worked. Again, all errors remained the same and kept coming with each attempt.

So after all of this pain in the ass effort, i'm still unable to back up my wife's phone.

Why would it have worked previously, and now it's deciding to not let me have access to her phone? Nothing has changed on my wife's phone, and i've installed the exact same install that i used the first time when Yosemite was put initially installed on the smaller 50 gig partition. Why would it not work now?

My MBP is running 10.8.3 on the larger partition, and Yosemite 10.10.5 on the current 200 gig partition.

My wife's iphone 6s was and always has been running IOS 10.3.3, with absolutely nothing changing or updated.

If anyone has any suggestions (besides me pulling more of my hair out), i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance. Sorry for the long read.View attachment 816096 View attachment 816097 View attachment 816096 View attachment 816097

Attachments

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
The only thing I see changing is the Yosemite partition size, which, by definition, should not affect communication between iPhone and iTunes at all.
Strange indeed.
But for ever smaller size of your Yosemite partition, the iOS backup is on your Yosemite partition by default, not on your iTunes library partition. Hard link or soft link is required to achieve having backup to an external location.

puntergood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
The only thing I see changing is the Yosemite partition size, which, by definition, should not affect communication between iPhone and iTunes at all.
Strange indeed.
But for ever smaller size of your Yosemite partition, the iOS backup is on your Yosemite partition by default, not on your iTunes library partition. Hard link or soft link is required to achieve having backup to an external location.

Hi, yes the partion is now larger. Nothing else changed.

As for the backup, all of the images / videos were backed up to the local Yosemite desktop and then copied to an external drive. The actual iTunes iphone backup, was saved in it's default hidden /Library folder on my Yosemite application support folder.

Before i reformatted the whole drive, the previous itunes backups were all copied to an external drive, so those are still presevered elsewhere. However, my inability to do a backup now, on my larger Yosemite partition, is beyond frustrating and mind boggling.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Was the drive cloned and then recloned back to the newly formatted drive (not clear in the text)?

One thing that you might try is to reset network settings and location and privacy setting on the phone. Not sure exactly what is used to generate the shared keys between device and computer (ie. Like Windows where a change in hardware gets noticed and might affect keys), but if the restore of the partition is not complete (ie. The keys on the computer are stored in someplace under /private), can see where things might get a bit confused somewhere in the key sharing path.

puntergood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Was the drive cloned and then recloned back to the newly formatted drive (not clear in the text)?

One thing that you might try is to reset network settings and location and privacy setting on the phone. Not sure exactly what is used to generate the shared keys between device and computer (ie. Like Windows where a change in hardware gets noticed and might affect keys), but if the restore of the partition is not complete (ie. The keys on the computer are stored in someplace under /private), can see where things might get a bit confused somewhere in the key sharing path.
Yes, both partitions were cloned using Carbon Copy Cloner, than the whole 960 ssd hard drive was completely deleted and reformatted with Disk Utility, to the way it was previously. Then Disk Utility was used again to partition into a 200 gig for Yosemite and the rest for Mountain Lion.

Mountain lion was successfully copied back using CCC and it worked flawlessly.

Yosemite was copied back using CCC and it didn't work. So i ended up just re-installing Yosemite and it's working no problem. Nothing special was done on Yosemite, it was pretty much 'stock' from the install, so nothing was lost and nothing done differently then when initially installed. It's only purpose was to back up my wife's iphone.

But this issue still remains.

I will try doing the network settings reset first, and then location and privacy. But again, nothing on her phone has changed from when it did work, so why would this help?

Thank you for your suggestions though!!

puntergood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007

Do you think deleting the location and privacy settings on the phone will really make a difference?

I'm just explaining to my wife what resetting the Network settings will do, and she's not too happy.

puntergood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Hey, so i have an interesting update. I'm holding off resetting the Network settings.

With my wife's iPhone 6s (10.3.3)...

When I'm logged into my profile on Mountain Lion, i'm not able to access my wife's photos with Image Capture.
I'm not able to connect to her phone with itunes (12.2.2) as it gives me the same error message.

When I'm logged into my wife's profile on Mountain Lion, I'm NOT able to access my wife's photos with Image Capture, as well i'm NOT able to connect to Itunes (12.2.2).

When I restart and boot up Yosemite and am logged into MY profile, i'm able to access my wife's photos with Image Capture and iPhoto. I'm NOT able to connect to itunes (12.2.2.25) and get that same error message.

When I'm logged into my wife's profile on Yosemite, i'm NOT able to access my wife's photos with Image Capture or iphoto and i'm not able to connect to iTunes (12.2.2.25) and get the same error message.

Why am i able to access my wife's photos via image capture and iphoto when logged into MY account, but not with hers?

Why am i not able to connect to itunes in anyway with her phone, whereas previously i was able to on Yosemite?

Ugh...