iPhone 6(S)(+) iPhone 6S - is it worth upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OldCorpse, Jun 4, 2018.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I have an iPhone 6S 64GB, and it works well for what I need. However, I've had it for awhile now, and while the battery is still fine, I am starting to wonder if it's worth upgrading.

IMPORTANT: I would like to buy used, and not new, to save $, so that probably means something older than X, maybe a 7 or the newer 8.

In your opinion, is it worth upgrading to one of the 7 series or 8 series? Is it a big jump over the 6S?

Thank you!

2. Racineur macrumors 6502

Racineur

Hello. I have the same 6s as yours and I find it very suitable to my needs. If you're not a power user (as I'm not), this 6s is the finest iPhone Apple made to my opinion. I do not know what would be the gain (in seconds) for an operation like opening Safari and browsing on Apple site on a 7 or 8 let's say compared to a 6s. Maybe 7 and 8 owners can testify. I think you should be more interested in battery life than raw power. My 10 cents. BTW. I had a 5s before the 6 s. There's an improvement you can feel but does it make the 5s totally unusable? No. Not yet. And as I understand, iOS 12 will make it even faster. So imagine what it will do to your 6s.

3. bodonnell202 macrumors 65816

bodonnell202

I suspect unless you are a heavy gamer or power user you probably won't notice much of a difference in performance between a 6s and a 7 or 8. Yes there are improvements such as wider color gamut screens, stereo speakers, cameras with better low light performance and waterproofing, which depending on how you use your iPhone you may or may not notice. If it still suits your needs I would suggest holding onto it until at least the fall when the new iPhones come out, at which point prices for used iPhone 8s will go down. I still have a 6s and I'm not really sure what I'm going to do in the fall, but I don't plan to do anything before then...

4. Racineur macrumors 6502

Racineur

Exactly. Maybe the new 6.1 inch will be irresistible and with iOS 12 coming this fall, if all that has been said is true about performances, why not make the jump then?

5. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thanks! That's why I like asking all the smart people here - great answers! I am not a power user. A nicer camera would be nice, but unless it's a BIG difference, I would not trade in my 6S for just a small improvement in camera. I use the camera heavily, but it's all for things like sending messages with photos, documenting stuff and so on, daily use, not artistic photos or portraits.

So it sounds like I should wait and stick with the 6S for now. The battery is pretty good, although I might take advantage of the Apple bat replacement program later this year.

6. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

I had a 6S plus, 7 plus, and 8 plus. No you won’t notice any difference.

7. nordique macrumors 65816

It is not a big jump. 7 and 8 are nice upgrades but not big in any way. They feel the exact same in the hand, and the upgrades the 7 and 8 bring are relatively minor.

I don’t think it’s worth upgrading - and the way iOS 12 beta is running on my iPhone 6 (not 6s), I imagine the 6s will have an excellent life on iOS 12.

My 6 is running amazingly on iOS 12 beta 1, it’s better and smoother than iOS 11. Given how much More powerful the 6s is than the 6 and given how well the 6s currently runs on iOS 11, it’s just not worth it unless you want a new iPhone

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Technically the 6.1 iPhone will be more the entry level with Face ID, having an aluminum casing, lacking wireless charging and different 3D Touch implementation with an LCD panel. If anything, it’s the starting price point (Around $700.00) that will be attractive for the specific model, but still offering face ID as a primary form of security.