iPhone 6S needs 4GB RAM

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
1. It would be industry first
2. Would bring mobile iOS up to desktop standards.
3. Shut up anti Apple trolls for a good 2-3 years on RAM and multitasking issues
4. Even better apps making use of 1-2 GB RAM at given time.
5. Force poor souls who just purchased iPhone 6/6+ to upgrade :p
6. Better PR

But will Apple actually upgrade it? Are they too cheap to do it?

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
Also developers would still need to account for 1gb of ram as a standard for the next few years until devices with that amount of memory are phased out

Reactions: joelypolly

mustbepbs

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
It would bring it up to desktop standards? In what way? Having an arbitrary number in common? Methinks you don't understand what you're complaining about.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
3. Shut up anti Apple trolls for a good 2-3 years on RAM and multitasking issues
6. Better PR

you clearly have zero clue.

PixelpusherBV

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
Harwich, UK
I'd just be happy with whatever ram is required to run the device well, as has been the case in all my idevices (for me at least). Don't really care what the spec-trolls think to be honest, although it always makes for amusing reading:)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'd just be happy with whatever ram is required to run the device well, as has been the case in all my idevices (for me at least). Don't really care what the spec-trolls think to be honest, although it always makes for amusing reading:)
You probably won't realize how bad your iPhone is running until Apple finally releases one with 2GB+. The iPad Air 2 seems to have pretty much no tab reloading

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
It certainly would make the 6S future proof. Which is exactly what Apple doesn't want
future proof? sorry, but doesn't exist. most people will change their phones after 2 years so it won't matter if apple put 16gb of ram in there. will you be using the same phone for the next 4-5 yrs if there is 4 gb of ram? its meaningless.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2011
USA
4GB of RAM will not be coming to iPhones any time soon. 5-6 years from now. The iPad Air 2 is the first product to have 2GB of RAM. The 2015 iPhone will most likely have 2GB of RAM.

Mr Hands

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2014
6. Better PR

Complaints will still happen.

I feel like #6 would turn into bitching because #5 would have to take place.

Can't please everyone.

Also as said, Apple doesn't advertise RAM specs.

Phone works fine with 1GB for now. Y'all need to just deal with it.

MODS- you should create an instaban rule when someone's OP mentions '2GB', 'GATE', 'BENT/BEND' etc.

For realsies.

themyst

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
I'm disappointed that they didn't double the ram like they do every major cycle.

4/4S = 512MB
5/5S = 1GB
6 - 1GB?

Must be Cookie boy trying to maximize margins instead of doing what makes sense. Seeing a lot of this with these recent announcements, kind of like how they nerfed the iPad Mini 3 to increase sales of the iPad Air 2.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
6. Better PR

It won't be an industry first. Android phones coming in early 2015 will have 4gb.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
Complaints will still happen.

I feel like #6 would turn into bitching because #5 would have to take place.

Can't please everyone.

Also as said, Apple doesn't advertise RAM specs.

Phone works fine with 1GB for now. Y'all need to just deal with it.

MODS- you should create an instaban rule when someone's OP mentions '2GB', 'GATE', 'BENT/BEND' etc.

For realsies.
You want to ban someone for discussing a real issue or point just becase you don't like it?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
future proof? sorry, but doesn't exist. most people will change their phones after 2 years so it won't matter if apple put 16gb of ram in there. will you be using the same phone for the next 4-5 yrs if there is 4 gb of ram? its meaningless.
If I had 4GB I would probably consider keeping the device longer than 2 years. Which again, is exactly what Apple doesn't want. As it stands now, I don't think I'll be able to keep this phone beyond a year. The CPU and GPU are fine for my uses, but the RAM makes upgrading a necessity with how bloated iOS has been getting

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
6. Better PR
7. Shut up pro apple trolls from saying the iphone doesn't need any ram at all if apple says it doesn't.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm disappointed that they didn't double the ram like they do every major cycle.

4/4S = 512MB
5/5S = 1GB
6 - 1GB?

Must be Cookie boy trying to maximize margins instead of doing what makes sense. Seeing a lot of this with these recent announcements, kind of like how they nerfed the iPad Mini 3 to increase sales of the iPad Air 2.
page re-loaded on the 4 and 4s so doubling it did not stop that on the 5/5s but doubling it again would of helped I guess?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
page re-loaded on the 4 and 4s so doubling it did not stop that on the 5/5s but doubling it again would of helped I guess?
They didn't reload much in the iOS 4 and iOS 5 days. iOS has gotten incredibly bloated since then.

Doubling clearly helped on the iPad Air 2. But the issue will probably come back with iOS 9 or 10

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
It's about the excess overhead you have. An OS that uses anywhere from say 500-750 mb of ram on os boot on a device with 2 gb of RAM has over 1gb of overhead for apps or anything else.

If you have 512 mb on your device and the OS takes up 200 mb that's not much overhead for your apps or tabs. Even less when the OS takes up around the same amount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.