iPhone 6S- Not That Special Coming from iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by solo118, Jan 3, 2016.

1. solo118 macrumors 65816

Since at&t is discontinuing their 2 Yr Contract program, I decided why not use an early upgrade to get an iPhone 6S! The salesman tried getting me to go for NEXT I just declined politely.

I did that on Thursday, and let me tell you this phone does not feel too different at all.

Speed- It's about the same my ip6 never lagged so I couldn't care less about the new 2GB of ram etc.
    Camera- night photos are horrible, overall I see no improvement I think the camera is either faulty or just terrible. I can't get good photos during the day, they look washed out and not as bright as the ip6 photos. I am going on vacation and really wanted to have an updated camera as I do not own a DSLR. My ip6 did an OK job, but I wanted better! I do not want perfection, just some improvements so I can print larger shots.
    3D Touch- I do not really see anything happening when I hold down... I am not one for gestures and whatnot I just do not care for it.
    Build Materials- I am sure the new aluminum is nice and all, but I take care of my phone and my ip6 is MINT and no bends.
    Touch ID- It is TOO fast, I sometimes want to look at my screen by pressing the home button but it unlocks the phone for me. I know I can use the power button, but its just what I am used to.

Why did I do it then? I honestly only cared about the camera upgrade, which is a HUGE dissapointment thus far. The photos are just horrible, and that is why I am thinking to just go back to the iPhone 6.

Is anyone with me here? Or should I wait it out as I have 14 days to return this 6S.

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

The 6s is quite a bit faster than the 6. Pretty sure you're going to be in the minority with this opinion.

I've read a couple of posts with folks complaining about the camera, but my wife's 6s seems to work well enough.

You don't see anything happening? When you press harder on an icon on your home screen a shortcut menu should pop up. Seems pretty handy to me.

The bending "issue" was overblown. It was not as big of a deal as the few folks who were freaking out about it had everyone believing.

Press the home button with a different finger? I just don't see how a faster more accurate Touch ID is a bad thing.

If you don't think it's worth it, by all means return it.

3. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'd say take it to the Apple Store and get the camera checked out. The difference between these two phones isn't massive so don't be too disappointed with the lack of performance differences. If you can live with the 6, if take the 6s back and keep the 6. Save the upgrade for the iPhone 7!

4. techspin macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised you didn't complain about how much heavier it is compared to the 6. If you're not happy with it now, then you'll hate it when the 7 comes out. Return it, cease whining.

5. solo118 thread starter macrumors 65816

Not whining, I was just trying to explain that the 6S is not that big of an upgrade. Maybe somebody with an ip6 and on the fence would appreciate my post.

6. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

2GB of RAM has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with multiple apps staying in memory and not losing data when you switch between them. If you used your phone for texting and Facebook only - you wouldn't notice it. It was a big issue for heavy users however.

First world problems

7. laudern macrumors 6502a

Was the 4s that special coming from the iPhone 4??? No

The 5s coming from the 5? Humm a little but not really

The 3gs coming from the 3g? I don't think so. I bit of speed. EDIT :the compass was actually pretty useful.

8. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

The 3GS was actually a massive upgrade, the CPU and GPU were exponentially better. 3G was the same internals as the original iPhone

9. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

The update to 2 gigs of ram is HUGE. If you don't agree, its because it never really bothered you and that's fine.

But I noticed right away that all my previously opened apps didn't have to reload and Safari pages all the way in the back of the stack didn't have to reload either. Over time, you may have conditioned yourself to close apps you didn't need open etc. I know I did. But with the 6S you simply never have to now. Big deal if you ask me.

Also, regarding TouchID being too fast. Just tap the home button with the tip of your thumb or your nail or the base of your thumb. An easy adjustment for a much more accurate and faster TouchID

10. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

Return it if you're not happy. This is Apple after all. They stand by their ****.

11. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is one of the biggest iPhone upgrades in history... When I first got the phone I noticed the differences almost instantly.

The iPhone 6 was a great device, but it was crippled from day one. The 1 gig of RAM. The fact that the A8 was not a huge improvement over the A7. In the 6s' case the A9 is a huge leap over the A8. The 2 gigs of RAM is a huge deal.

Personally I do see differences in the cameras as well, but not night and day difference. The biggest gripe about the camera I have is pretty much nitpicking... Apple spent a good part of 6 months telling us how "great" the camera was on the iPhone 6. It was 8MP. Well when the 6s comes out they want to tell us how much better the camera is compared to the 6, but the day before wasn't you telling me how good the iPhone 6 camera was with the "Shot On iPhone 6" ad campaign... Again I realize they're releasing a new phone and all and they have to make it better then the one before it, but I believe they tried to make it seem so much better then the iPhone 6 camera and that's what has disappointed some people... Just my opinion... In other words the 6 camera was wonderful... The 6s camera is better but not so much better...

In closing I say if you don't think the 6s is worth it then return it... Because if you think that now you'll think it even more when the 7 is released... However as a person that upgrades to every iPhone... This is the one time I could probably sit it out as the 6s is a monster of a phone... I'm not saying I will because I won't but I could lol

12. JackieInCo Suspended

I think it is. I have a 6S+ and a 6S and I can't believe how much faster apps open on this thing compared to my 6+. The extra RAM is also very noticeable. I am actually annoyed that my Safari tabs no longer reload upon opening, I have to do that myself now.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

While I think the 6S+ is better than my 6+, it is getting harder and harder for a company like Apple to blow our socks off with upgrades as there is only so much you can do until technology moves forward.

14. JackieInCo Suspended

Samsung warned their investors this week of that very same thing. They were asking their employees to please come up with ideas (software related) on how they can impress this year.

It seems like this is a problem industry wide now.

15. Tom G. macrumors 68010

Tom G.

Went from a 6 to a 6S+ and found it amazingly better. I am totally satisfied with my decision.

As far as your disappointment with low light photography, this is a bit of a problem with any smartphone no matter the brand. Some are better than others, but none really beat a DSLR camera. That being said, you may be using it wrong. There are helps that are available to improve this phase of your picture taking. One that I use ( and have no connection to) is iphonephotographyschool.com. Their blog will show you amazing photos of all types including those taken in low light.

16. ilikewhey macrumors 6502a

i'm actually on the fence and this thread helped me tremendously lol

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Considering it's quite a bit subjective it's hard to say what it would be like for someone else.

18. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

While I agree the 6S isn't a huge step forward, the increase in processing power and RAM was much needed.

For example, if I'm driving, I usually have Waze/Gmaps, Spotify, and then whatever is open in the background like Messages, etc. On the 6, I have to close everything else out or the whole phone lags when you get a text message. If you open up messages, good luck! Spotify or Google Maps will probably crash.

On my 6S+? It's all buttery smooth. I can have Waze, Google Maps, Tapatalk, Messages, anything... Nothing lags. Everything works perfectly.

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

If 3D Touch is too fast you can change the speedin settings. Go to accessibility

20. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Ferrari 458. Not that special coming from a 430.

21. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

You can change the sensitivity of 3D Touch in settings. You cannot, however, change the speed of Touch ID which is what his complaint was.