Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotMyName

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
As per thread title. The last time i jailbroke an iPhone there was no such option as midget phone, medium phone and big phone, Apple just released one phone and that was it until the next year. As i'm possibly coming to the end of my iPhone 6S I was considering jailbreaking, even moreso after seeing various jailbreaks on YouTube.

Only thing is, every YouTube video i see seems to mention 12.4 as a max, no 12.4.1 (unless the .1 is just auto-assumed?).
Not only that but they're almost always on what i imagine to be an iPhone X (of some description) and they talk about various chip numbers.

Some go on to say that when you turn your phone off you'll need to restart your jailbreak when you turn your phone back on - not something i ever had to deal with. Once it was jailbroken it was jailbroken, end of.

So i feel like this is all now pretty new to me and i'm a bit head blown. All i really want to do (possibly) is to just jailbreak my 6S. I don't know if certain things only work with newer phones or what.

Where to get started with this on my 'old' phone?

WingsAndBeer

Cancelled
May 24, 2019
unc0ver (now) supports iOS 12.4.1.

1. Install unc0ver from Tweak Box. You will have to add a certificate to your device temporarily.
2. Install and run unc0ver jailbreak
3. Install Reprovision (from Cydia) to re-sign every few days (repo to add to Cydia: repo.incendo.ws)
4. Immediately re-sign the unc0ver app with Reprovision using your own login credentials, and remove the Tweak Box certificate from your device.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotMyName

NotMyName

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
And there is no limitations regards the phone being a 6S (instead of say an X)?

Looking at your number 3 there, is the jailbreak on this not a do it and leave it thing? I'm going to have to 'maintain' it shall we say in order to keep it jailbroken otherwise is ceases to be jailbroken? Or have i misunderstood you?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As per thread title. The last time i jailbroke an iPhone there was no such option as midget phone, medium phone and big phone, Apple just released one phone and that was it until the next year. As i'm possibly coming to the end of my iPhone 6S I was considering jailbreaking, even moreso after seeing various jailbreaks on YouTube.

Only thing is, every YouTube video i see seems to mention 12.4 as a max, no 12.4.1 (unless the .1 is just auto-assumed?).
Not only that but they're almost always on what i imagine to be an iPhone X (of some description) and they talk about various chip numbers.

Some go on to say that when you turn your phone off you'll need to restart your jailbreak when you turn your phone back on - not something i ever had to deal with. Once it was jailbroken it was jailbroken, end of.

So i feel like this is all now pretty new to me and i'm a bit head blown. All i really want to do (possibly) is to just jailbreak my 6S. I don't know if certain things only work with newer phones or what.

Where to get started with this on my 'old' phone?
With one or two exceptions, every jailbreak released starting from iOS 9.2 is what you call semi-untethered. This means that you boot stock and must tap the jailbreak app (for the jailbreak you used) to re-jailbreak. The reason for this is that the kernel detects tampering when booting and will not allow the device to continue, so the exploits which work after the device is booted are applied then.

This is pretty much the state of affairs now. Devs are always on the lookout for exploits that will give everyone a fully-untethered jailbreak like it used to be (and like you recall) but so far nothing.

PS. I have a 6s and a 6s+. Both still have a fully-untethered jailbreak because I jailbroke iOS 9 and never updated from iOS 9.0.2.

Reactions: NotMyName

WingsAndBeer

Cancelled
May 24, 2019
And there is no limitations regards the phone being a 6S (instead of say an X)?

Looking at your number 3 there, is the jailbreak on this not a do it and leave it thing? I'm going to have to 'maintain' it shall we say in order to keep it jailbroken otherwise is ceases to be jailbroken? Or have i misunderstood you?

Correct, no device limitations. It is a software jailbreak so any device that runs the supported versions will be able to jailbreak.

You only have to re-jailbreak your phone if it reboots. Basically, you want to keep unc0ver app signed in the event you need to re-jailbreak. Reprovision does this for you automatically, every x number of days that you set.

If the unc0ver app is unsigned when you reboot, you can't use it to re-jailbreak because Reprovision won't work. In that event, you'd just delete the app and re-execute the steps I mentioned above. It is fairly painless. Worth the reward.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.