iPhone 6s Plus 4K Output To TV Set

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Habakuk, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Habakuk macrumors 6502a

Would some1 be so nice, please, to confirm (from a personal experience), that I'll be able to watch my self-made iPhone 6s Plus' video clips (4K30p) on a 4K tv set via Lightning to HDMI adapter (in full resolution)? I know that the new announced (for late october) Apple TV won't be able to handle 4K video.

But the HDMI cable should do so, shouldn't it? Thx in adv for enlightenment.

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

No, the Lightning to HDMI adapter still only supports 1080p, it is a hardware limitation of the adapter, not of the phone. Apple would need to release a new 4K-capable Lightning to HDMI Adapter.

At present, there is no iOS-device-only method of viewing the iPhone 6S/6S Plus 4K video on a 4K TV set. You would have to use some other device, such as transferring it to a computer that has 4K-capable HDMI output, or upload it to YouTube and use a 4K compatible YouTube player (a few 4K TVs, the 2015 Amazon FireTV, and the to-be-released-soon Roku 4 are the only ones I know of.)

3. Habakuk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much, Anonymous Freak, for your explanation. Not really good news, though. Apple should make a 4K-capable Lightning to HDMI Adapter.

4. HobeSoundDarryl, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    ...or a 4K :apple:TV :rolleyes:

As is: shoot 4K on Apple iPhones -> edit 4K in Apple FCPX or Apple iMovie -> render 4K in Apple Quicktime -> store the 4K file in Apple iTunes -> Apple TV4 -> 4KTV :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hopefully :apple:TV5 "now with 4K" will arrive with- but probably soon after- next year's iPads if they inherit this year's iPhone 4K cameras to fix that one weak link in an otherwise complete Apple chain. Same thing last time: iPhone could shoot 1080p, then iPads could shoot 1080p, THEN :apple:TV3 "now with 1080p" arrived.

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I think the quickest way to see your footage would be to transfer the video to a computer, then copy to a USB memory stick, then plug the memory stick into the 4K TV.

6. xialina macrumors newbie

7. okwhatev macrumors 6502

Nope. Doesn't work. Apple made sure of it....lol