iPhone 6S Plus Camera Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok so I sold my old Canon DSLR thinking I would always use my iPhone 6 camera, but I find the need for something better.

I am thinking of the 6S Plus wondering if I should still go for a Nikon D5300 or Canon Rebel 6i

Just how good is the camera on the 6S Plus, will be a grandfather soon and looking to get some great photos of the little ones. I am very techy work in IT, just wondering what others have done and if the DSLR is the way to go, is the Nikon D5300 good?

2. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

IIRC the camera on the 6S and + are the same. The + has physical OIS which is nifty but ultimately not something I would use as the reason to go with a big phone.
    Ultimately you have to look at your purpose. Do you get the 6S+ so you can take great photos or do you get a DSLR to take even better photos at the cost of spontaneity.

I'm not a photographer. I can't expect to shoulder a camera with me more often than not so I have a 6S

But sir, there is no understating how powerful a good photo is. And if I found myself expecting grandchildren, I would want to take the best photo's possible to last decades.

3. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

You won't get subject isolation like you do with a DSLR on an iPhone. No camera phone is a substitute for a DSLR but if you are an occasional snap and shooter, the 6s Plus will work great.
    I wouldn't give up my D750 though!

4. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

6S+ camera is quite good but at the end of the day, in low light conditions etc, DSLR will always trump it : the iPhone simply jacks up the ISO. You have no control over fine tuning settings. In any case, most photos we take nowadays are used for social networking which means that unless you are pixel peeping, the difference won't be glaringly obvious. Of course, if you want a 'perfect' shot, that's blur free and sharp, you need a DSLR.

That being said, the best camera is the one you actually have with you at the moment and the iPhone will be great at those moments. I've taken lots of photos, at night etc with my iPhone that were candidly taken and came out great.

Cheers !

EDIT : Have you tried the Olympus OM-D series ? They seem to be between a DSLR and a compact. Take pretty good pictures but not as heavy or bulky :)

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

iPhone cameras are great for what they are, but they are not full replacements for dSLRs. There are things you can do on a dSLR (depth of field, aperture, exposure levels, different lenses) that you can't do on even the best smartphone cameras.

My canon has been spending a lot more time in its bag lately, as I do take a lot more pictures now with my iPhone 6S plus. And there are definitely shots I've taken on my iPhone that I probably couldn't have gotten lugging a dSLR around, owing to the fact that it's just a lot easier to carry, it's always with me, and it's a lot less obtrusive and disruptive. But it's still not a full replacement.