iPhone 6s Plus dies in cold weather?Normal behavior or hardware issue?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DChantedMan, Jan 18, 2016.

1. DChantedMan macrumors newbie

DChantedMan

I've had my iPhone 6s Plus for 4 months now and I must say it's an amazing device.Now,lately I've been experiencing a really weird issue with it.I live in a country where the weather conditions are as bad as in Canada right now if not worse meaning it's very cold over here.The temperature tends to drop 20 degrees subzero over here.Anyway,today my phone died on 17% under the following weather conditions: -5 degrees Celsius/wind nm 9mph feels like -12 degrees.Is this normal behavior or could there be some sort of a hardware issue here?Is anyone familiar with this?Help pls!

2. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

If the iPhone itself was getting that cold, or close to it, yes it is normal. You will get reduced battery life in very cold temps. It can even shut down if it gets cold enough.

I have the opposite problem here in Arizona: I have had my iPhone shut off when it is very hot out (>110F). This only happened to me if it was actually in the sun.

Mike

3. DChantedMan thread starter macrumors newbie

DChantedMan

Yes the iPhone was actually cold to the touch the back of it was like...holding a metal pipe in the winter...it was extremely cold...unbearable to even carry around I hope that makes sense so with that being said are u sure that's normal behavior?

4. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

5. DChantedMan thread starter macrumors newbie

DChantedMan

Attached Files:

6. Mindbender14 macrumors regular

Yes normal behavior. I run in the winter and have to keep it in an inside pocket to keep it from shutting down while playing music.

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

I wouldn't consider it that extreme if the iPhone is normally in a pocket where it is not getting down to that temperature. But if the iPhone itself is getting that cold, then yes that is cold enough to cause issues.

This what Apple says about it:

Mike

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I had mine out running Waze in my car on the drive home last night and had the same thing happen. Shut down at about 17%.

It was about -5 F.

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Happened with my 6 Plus when I went snowboarding.

10. KiraYamato macrumors regular

KiraYamato

Happened to me yesterday. Weird thing is, first I had no signal and I figured it was my carrier having problems. After about an hour I decided to reboot and it's then that my phone started shutting off right after reboot and I had to warm it up by putting it in my jeans pocket to be able to use it.

Somewhat surprised by this though, as I come from a note 3 and that device was working fine during far more extreme weather (regularly at the beach in the evenings with my dog in the winter when it would be freezing cold with a semi tornado blowing) than what caused my iphone to act up yesterday.

11. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

The Note 3 is larger and thicker - no surprise then as it takes longer for larger objects to heat up or cool down.

12. DChantedMan thread starter macrumors newbie

DChantedMan

I've just noticed that my phone won't die in the cold as long as it has over 50% of battery life in it like no matter how cold it gets.My battery lasted 7 hours and 3 mins last night and it'd been on standby for 7 hours and 10 mins so could there be a hardware issue because I don't think the battery is faulty or anything

13. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts

The Note 3 is 8.3 mm thick. The iPhone 6s plus is 7.3 mm thick ...

14. digitalcuriosity macrumors regular

People report all the time that their digital cameras, lose their battery power in very cold weather. So as with them it's best to try keeping you'r phone as warm as you can.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been out in single digits and keep my phone close to me when that's the case. I think I came across one situation where in extreme temps it was unresponsive but overall, I've not had any issues.

16. aver1one macrumors newbie

Bro in Bulgaria it's not as cold as Canada. And Note 3 is leather plus polycarbonate, not aluminum.

Giving advice in Bulgarian:

Мойски, как в София ще е студено колкото в Канада, ти добре ли си? И е нормално да се изключва при ниски температури, носи го във вътрешен джоб или раница/чанта.
    С моя iPhone 4s нямам такива проблеми. Но колеги с 5/5s и 6/6s имат подобни случки с random изключване. Дръж го на топло.

17. DChantedMan thread starter macrumors newbie

DChantedMan

Are your colleagues sure their phones do not have any hardware issues?My point is...can you infer that it's normal? It

Attached Files:

18. Skylitfly macrumors 6502a

Happens all the time here in Finland. Currently it is around -25 celsius degrees outside and I have to keep my iPhone under my clothes and near my body if I want to play music while walking around.

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Keep you phone inside you coat against your body and use it as little as possible to avoid it getting even colder. It is 100% normal for it to shut down when near freezing.

20. DribbleCastle macrumors regular

DribbleCastle

Mine shuts down as well but in not nearly as cold temperatures. Anytime it's in the low 40's if I'm on a walk outside for 15-20 minutes as soon as I pull the phone out of my pocket and touch the screen it immediately reboots and shows the power/plugin icon. It will do this several times in a row after booting back up, and finally I realized it appears to be the cold temperatures causing the problem. It's done it 5-6 times now in total and I can replicate it by putting the phone in the freezer for a few minutes.

I've noticed the problem since 9.2 came out. Hoping its a software bug but figured there would be more talk on the internet about it. I just updated to 9.2.1 today and I'll report back if it fixes it. I was considering taking it into the Apple Store as I figured it might be hardware related due to a bad battery.

21. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

Couple weeks ago i was walking outside and there were only -1C and my phone went off. I tried to open it but it shows me that the battery was empty. I thought it was empty and I went home and started to charge it, the battery shows me 40% left. 6s+ couldnt even handle -1C! First time something like this happened to me with a smartphone. I have to say but been using my phone when there is around -10-15C nowadays.. But that -1C was like "hey cmon!? Are you serious?"

22. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Coming from someone who actually lives in the Great White North, I've never had a problem with the iPhone 6 shutting down in -25C weather. There may have been a hit to battery performance, but the extreme temperature swing didn't cause the phone to turn off. Heck, it even survived 6 hours in a refrigerator without turning off (don't ask).

And may I suggest you all grow some chest hair:
    IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG

23. KiraYamato macrumors regular

KiraYamato

Yeah mine went off at -1C as well. Same reaction.

24. bushido Suspended

bushido

mine died 4 times within 2 hours last week because of the cold. never happened to any of my iPhones in the past. maybe its the body and thinness of the device?

25. mfldmike macrumors regular

Yep, mine died because of the cold too. I was outside during -40 degree temps and my phone shutoff. I put it in a warm place with radiant heat and it started up again.