Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
When on the home screen, if I turn the phone to landscape, it rotates fine. But then if I try to go back to portrait, it won't move at all. No matter which way I rotate the phone, the display stays in the landscape. The only way it will stop is if I swipe to the next screen, or open an app and go back to the home screen, but then the problem will happen again if I turn the phone. Anyone else having problems like this?

Reactions: tann

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Just updated to iOS 9.0.2. Not helping. Still getting the home screen stuck on the rotation it opens to from the lock screen or from any application.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
No. Mine works fine. I did have that issue on my 6 Plus now and then but my 6S Plus has been fine so far.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
No. Mine works fine. I did have that issue on my 6 Plus now and then but my 6S Plus has been fine so far.
Thanks for the reply. I've found a couple other threads with this exact issue. Wondering if a restore and setting up as a new phone would help, opposed to setting up from an iCloud backup.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I was thinking of doing a full reset and start up as a new phone but I've read others have tried that and it didn't help. It's gotta be a software glitch but it's weird that it doesn't happen on all phones.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
It happens to me occasionally. Ive restored from a backup for the last 4 years. I think a fresh install might solve the problem. But it happens so infrequent that I am content to occasionally have the problem in exchange for all my messages from the past 5 years.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
It happens to me occasionally. Ive restored from a backup for the last 4 years. I think a fresh install might solve the problem. But it happens so infrequent that I am content to occasionally have the problem in exchange for all my messages from the past 5 years.
Yeah I feel the same, but mine is every time I go to the home screen no matter what. Driving me out of my mind.

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
When on the home screen, if I turn the phone to landscape, it rotates fine. But then if I try to go back to portrait, it won't move at all. No matter which way I rotate the phone, the display stays in the landscape. The only way it will stop is if I swipe to the next screen, or open an app and go back to the home screen, but then the problem will happen again if I turn the phone. Anyone else having problems like this?

Here's a number of things I tried that eventually worked:

A) Setup phone as new (I passed on doing this since I have so much synced)
B) Double tap (not click) home button, rotate phone (worked and then update to iOS 9.0.2 broke rotation again)
C) Restore iOS in DFU mode in iTunes
D) Hard reset 2-3 times in a row (this is what I used after updating to iOS 9.0.2)

It's a real pain - I wish Apple would address this.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Thanks for the tips everyone. I restored on the phone (not iTunes) and set it up as new. Lost messages and things like that but it was worth it, the orientation changes like it's supposed to again.

Reactions: sunking101

rp39

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Thanks for the tips everyone. I restored on the phone (not iTunes) and set it up as new. Lost messages and things like that but it was worth it, the orientation changes like it's supposed to again.
I just got a new replacement iPhone at the Apple Store and set up as new until I get home to restore and it did this out of the box. The one I returned did the same. 6s plus.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I just got a new replacement iPhone at the Apple Store and set up as new until I get home to restore and it did this out of the box. The one I returned did the same. 6s plus.
Have you fixed this yet? Mine started doing this again this morning out of nowhere.

ac921ol

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2011
are we able to do this with the 6s? I havent been able to rotate my home screen at all, and dont even get me started on gamecenter.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
are we able to do this with the 6s? I havent been able to rotate my home screen at all, and dont even get me started on gamecenter.
No, 6 plus and 6s plus only, and only when in standard view mode, not zoomed.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
I'm using zoom mode for the day in the display setting so my home screen works right. It looks so ugly. I'll have to try to restore from a backup over the weekend. I don't want to but I hate how the zoom mode looks and don't want to be turning my phone up and down every time I go to the home screen to get it to the right orientation.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
Reset all content and settings, restored from iCloud backup, problem is still there.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My 6S+ doesn't do this but it does have a weird 3D Touch bug where no phone contacts or SMS contacts are listed, just add contact and create new message. Maps doesn't have 3D Touch at all. Set up from new, three times and with no back-up, so I guess some weird bugs are occurring for different folk. My phone runs well though.

Bugeyeblue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 27, 2011
My 6S+ doesn't do this but it does have a weird 3D Touch bug where no phone contacts or SMS contacts are listed, just add contact and create new message. Maps doesn't have 3D Touch at all. Set up from new, three times and with no back-up, so I guess some weird bugs are occurring for different folk. My phone runs well though.
Sure seems like it.

I reset all settings after doing the restore and it's fixed again! For now... Only lasted 2 weeks last time.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Exact same issue. I am not restoring it again because it takes so long lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.