iPhone 6s Plus OIS for video

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by freeskier93, Sep 12, 2015.

1. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

I remember there being some debate last year about whether or not the 6 Plus uses Optical Image Stabilization during video capture, specifically because it was only listed under iSight camera features and not video features. However, looking at the tech spec page for the 6s/+ OIS is now listed under video recording features. In fact there seem to be a number of new listed features under video (other than just 4k of course).

The new or modified features:
    • Optical image stabilization for video (iPhone 6s Plus only)
    • Slo-mo video support for 1080p at 120 fps
    • Time-lapse video with stabilization
    • Cinematic video stabilization (1080p and 720p)
    • Improved noise reduction
    • Take 8MP still photos while recording 4K video
    • Playback zoom

http://www.apple.com/iphone-6s/specs/
    http://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

2. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I wonder what the difference between OIS and CVS is...

3. freeskier93 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure CVS is just digital image stabilization. DIS is done though by "shifting" the frame around on the image sensor (basically uses pixels outside the usual video frame), likely 12MP isn't enough to do meaningful DIS at 4k which is why it's only listed for 720p and 1080p.

I'm really curious to see some comparison testing on this with the new phones.

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I'm glad to see this thread, I was wondering if the OIS was still going to be on the 6s+ and this thread answers my question.

I don't take many videos, but I do take quite a few photos and the OIS will help a lot.