iPhone 6S Plus rotates too much

Randman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Jacksonville, Fla
Anyone else have this issue? Went from a 6 Plus to a 6S Plus (first was from work). The new phone rotates like crazy. I've had to enable rotation lock on it. I reset all settings and it's still super sensitive to the least bit of motion and goes horizontal but doesn't like to go back to vertical.

I could go to Zoomed view but would prefer not to.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I think the 6S+ has a lot of trouble deciding which orientation to lock into when the phone is physically horizontal. I haven't had any trouble with the screen orientation when the phone is physically held upright.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
I think the 6S+ has a lot of trouble deciding which orientation to lock into when the phone is physically horizontal. I haven't had any trouble with the screen orientation when the phone is physically held upright.
Same here - maybe the new M8 being part of the SOC? Kinda like touchiD being "too" fast.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My 6S+ rotates wayyyyy less than my 6+ did. It's pretty much a non-issue for me now.

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
Well, maybe the gyro is a bit over-sensitive. If software resets don't fix it you might wanna have the hardware checked, and in the worst case, the phone replaced.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Anyone else have this issue? Went from a 6 Plus to a 6S Plus (first was from work). The new phone rotates like crazy. I've had to enable rotation lock on it. I reset all settings and it's still super sensitive to the least bit of motion and goes horizontal but doesn't like to go back to vertical.

Load the Compass app and swipe left to open the level. See if it looks correct there.

Reactions: Randman

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015

This is anecdotal of course, but I think all iOS devices rotate too much then never want to go back vertical. I always have rotation lock enabled on all.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
I wouldn't say the phone rotates too much at all, if anything I'd say it's just 'responsive' unlike a lot of other devices with similar features. The only trouble I find is that, when laid flat, the phone tends to favour the landscape mode when I feel it should naturally assume portrait.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Sakyant

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2015

My iPhone 7+ drives me crazy with the same thing. Just layiing it down causes it to go into landscape mode and back, and it freezes and wont rotate often. stuff like Instagram causes that