iPhone 6s plus screen hairline scratch removal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbrady3324, Sep 29, 2015.

1. jbrady3324 macrumors regular

I've noticed a few hairline scratches on my 6s plus. Very tough to tell if the phone arrived this way or if has happened from normal use. Either way, I do recall iPhone 6 reports that the screen scratches rather easily. Short of exchanging the phone, are there methods to remove hairline scratches?

When I say hairline scratch, I am referring to a scratch that is only visible at certain angles and has no depth (can't fill it with your fingernail).

2. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yea get some fine grit sand paper and go to town.

3. sonicdissent macrumors regular

It's probably a scratch in the coating. I have no experience with it, but you can buy replacement oleophobic coating on amazon.

4. jbrady3324 thread starter macrumors regular

What grit would you recommend?

Interesting -- Do you have a recommendation?

5. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Haha never ever ever try to sand out scratches on your screen. There's no way to remove the scratches. Just live with it or return it.

6. sonicdissent macrumors regular

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Before you try sanding you should just try removing the oleophobic coating. All you need is isopropyl alcohol and micro fiber. The coating wears away anyway and IMO Apple shouldn't even use it (and you can replace it). It is much more likely the 'soft' oleophobic coating is scratched and not the glass.

8. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

I wouldn't bother with anything listed above. Even if you manage to reapply the oleophobic coating decently, it'll happen again. Your best bet is to put a screen protector on it. Not only will it protect your screen (duh) but it will mask those hairline scratches and you won't see them.

9. jbrady3324 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm generally not a fan of screen protectors as they impact the feel of the phone and overall clarity and glare resistance of the screen. It is a trade-off for screen protection though.

10. sonicdissent macrumors regular

I've found theyve come a long way recently, if you get a decent one, the feel and clarity is barely different. This is probably the best suggestion.

11. susan12369 macrumors 6502

I am using this one, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NI0U6DU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00, and have excellent clarity, no glare, and the screen is so smooth and touchable! My only issue with it is that it shows every smudge and fingerprint, but for all I know the naked screen would too. I put this screen protector on immediately after unboxing.

12. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

I've been using skinomi protectors for my phones and watch. By far the easiest to apply and they last super long.

13. Rocko9999 macrumors regular

Rocko9999

Put a glass screen protector on it and be done. Don't fudge with all the other 'remedies'.

14. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

The Zagg glass screen protectors feel better to me than the actual glass. Just my opinion but I HATED the film style screen protectors and wouldn't use one. Zagg has a decent warranty/replacement policy that has worked well for me thus far. The Body Glove is supposed to be thicker. I think I prefer the thinner, especially when considering the home button. It feels 'deeper' with the screen protector.

15. Dextux macrumors member

Check Amazon for tempered glass screen protector. I have one on my 6s+ and actually prefer it over the naked screen. Extremely easy to apply, no bubbles at all, and makes the phone look much better imho. Do not notice any finger prints or anything like that.

16. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Absolutely anything you try will ruin the display glass and coatings.

17. hutrebug macrumors regular

I never immediately peel off the plastic sheet from the screen of a new phone.

18. ACURA2015, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015

ACURA2015 macrumors regular

My suggestion is, if you don't feel comfortable simply return it while you're in the 14 days, I don't recommend doing anything to the phone as you may make things worse and they can simply say it was your fault. I just returned my 6s Gold 64GB because it had 2 dead pixels that were burnt out and you couldn't tell AT ALL if it weren't because of the "dead spotter" app. In my opinion you paid a substantial high price to have issues with your brand new phone. Something worth mentioning, if you do decide to return it, simply tell them you had a change of mind and simply re-purchase another phone, reason is the lady at the apple store simply wanted to swap it out and wanted to give me a replacement that comes in those white little boxes, I told her no thanks, but I prefer to return the phone while I'm permitted within the 14 days, and simply returned it to another Apple store and bought another one. No questions asked, and if they ask you simply tell them you had a change of mind. That is it. Good luck and again download "dead spotter" and also check for dead pixels.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, heed @MICHAELSD advice, there's nothing you can do to buff out a scratch in the glass. Any attempt will make the problem worse. Remember there's the oleophobic coating, which will you destroy if you use sandpaper on the display.

20. ACURA2015 macrumors regular

My suggestion is, if you don't feel comfortable simply return it while you're in the 14 days, I don't recommend doing anything to the phone as you may make things worse and they can simply say it was your fault. I just returned my 6s Gold 64GB because it had 2 dead pixels that were burnt out and you couldn't tell AT ALL if it weren't because of the "dead spotter" app. In my opinion you paid a substantial high price to have issues with your brand new phone. Something worth mentioning, if you do decide to return it, simply tell them you had a change of mind and simply re-purchase another phone, reason is the lady at the apple store simply wanted to swap it out and wanted to give me a replacement that comes in those white little boxes, I told her no thanks, but I prefer to return the phone while I'm permitted within the 14 days, and simply returned it to another Apple store and bought another one. No questions asked, and if they ask you simply tell them you had a change of mind. That is it. Good luck and again download "dead spotter" and also check for dead pixels.

21. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

I can relate to your pain. On my 6 plus I ended up getting a few hairline scratches and I also investigated methods to repair the screen. In the end the only resolution that was 100% was to get the screen replaced.

Good luck!
    Frank

22. nj1266 macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem. I tried every method outlined in the article below except sandpaper of course. The best results that reduced the visibility of the scratch temporarily was car paint scratch remover. I tried it on my old 5s first to ensure no damage to the screen. But as soon as the screen is smudged I can see the scratch again at certain angles and certain lit conditions. It is very annoying.
    http://mashable.com/2014/06/28/phone-screen-scratches/#zn6JQ6Qb7aqG

23. brianjsw01 macrumors member

Yah I scratched mine using a Christmas ornament hook as a SIM eject tool. I tried lots of things never did get it out. Eventually my screen developed other issues and I got it replaced, but considering how hit or miss screens are I wouldn't get it replaced unless the scratch is easily noticed. My new screen has other problems worse than a scratch and I'm done with the exchanges till iPhone 7 comes out.

24. melman101 macrumors 68030

I love power support crystal film. Been using it since day 1 of original iPhone. Awesome.