iPhone 6s Plus t mobile contract free unlocked???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richbarbal, Sep 12, 2015.

1. richbarbal macrumors member

Hi!

I just preorder the IPhone 6s Plus And choose the t mobile contract free option And pay the full price.

Do you know if this phone will come unlocked?? I want to use it in Peru. I already know the bands are compatible.

My only concern is if i can switch the Tmobile sim card for the sim card i use ok Peru.

I haved call Apple 1000 time but they gave me diferent information each time.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. bmms8 macrumors 68020

Any phone purchased outright is unlocked

3. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

4. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

But not all unlocked phones are created equal. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint phones are fully unlocked when purchased at full price from Apple, but AT&T phones are only GSM unlocked. For instance, you could put in a Verizon sim and LTE will work, but the CDMA functions will not.

5. richbarbal thread starter macrumors member

I per ordered the Tmobile off contract full price. I will use it on a gsm network, so it should be ok right?

6. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Are you a tmobile customer? I don't think you can just cash and carry the phone to Peru without dealing with tmobile first and have it work. Tmobile may need to unlock it for you.

7. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Wrong. You don't have to be a t mobile customer or deal at all with them. Enjoy your phone in Peru.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

For any device, if you purchase it outright at the store (with the exception of Sprint, which was the case for the 6/6+, unsure if that will be the case for the 6S/6S+). Apple sales employ will not ask you for your account info. All you need to do is unbox the new shiny toy, remove the sim card that came with it and insert your activated sim and use it.

9. richbarbal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mate!

10. ZigZagLens macrumors member

I am an AT&T customer, but ordered the T-Mobile phone direct from Apple. I just didn't want to deal with all of the AT&T "are you qualified for an upgrade" BS when I was buying it, and did it with a fair amount of confidence based on my experience buying the 6, which is that it came unlocked. All I had to do with my 6 was put in my AT&T sim and the phone worked immediately.

Will this also be the case with the 6S? I had assumed the AT&T 6S and the T-Mobile 6S were the exact same phone - a factory unlocked GSM phone. But now I'm hearing that they are actually two different model numbers and am feeling like I might have made a dumb decision.

See this article and its comments for example.

Did I screw up?

11. richbarbal thread starter macrumors member

Just talked with an Apple rep And told me Tmobile contract free is an unlocked phone but they can not call it that way becouse of Apple policies with Tmobile. He told me: your phone is going to come with a Tmobile sim card but its not going to be linked to Tmobile since you paid full price and is contract free.

12. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I'm pretty sure the t-mobile one is unlocked because the iPhone UP and uses the 1687/1688 (for Sprint, Verizon, and T-mobile) and clearly states on the iPhone UP page that the iPhones are unlocked from the getgo.

13. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

The T-Mobile phone will work perfectly fine on AT&T. The only difference with the model AT&T uses is that it supports band 30. It's a relatively new band thats used in high congestion areas, but the T-Mobile phone will work fine on AT&T without it.

I actually prefer the T-Mobile phone because it's fully unlocked for CDMA use as well, which means higher resale value. Its unclear wether the AT&T model can do that or not.

14. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

T-Mobile is fully unlocked.
    Just configure the iPhone and check the address bar (it states no network provider, just like the sim-free)

15. Gr81MB macrumors 6502

Gr81MB

I purchased A t mobile unlocked for AT&T, will it work on LTE for or no? That is my only concern,

16. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Yes, AT&T will work on t-mobile unlocked iPhone on LTE. But the T-mobile model does not have the band 30 so you won't be able to connect to the high speed 2.3 GHz if it's activated in your area.

17. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that band 30 isn't any faster, it can just handle many more connections. It's for use in congested areas like big cities and sporting events.

18. terraphantm macrumors 68040

A phone with band 30 will be faster because there will be less congestion. You'd also be able to take advantage of carrier aggregation with another band

19. DarKOrange macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I live in France and I'll be visiting NYC next week for a few days.
    I'd like to buy an iPhone 6S T-Mobile contract free to use it in France.
    Is it required to provide a US social security number, a US phone number or any other info or is it possible to just walk in an Apple Store and buy it just as any other product?
    Many thanks in advance for your answers!
    Cheers.

20. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No you do not need to provide SSN and etc when purchasing the phone at full price. They won't even ask.

21. DarKOrange macrumors newbie

Thank you!