Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005

Didn't ATT introduce some ridiculous fee if you buy a new phone from somewhere like Apple and supply your account information? I thought they did? Some silly $10 or $15 fee? I thought the way around it was to buy an unlocked phone or T-Mobile phone without account information and just change sims.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
You don't have to buy at ATT.... I paid of my final forty something dollars to be eligible for upgrade and I'm preordering tonight at apple...

This is my first time doing a trade in on next. After I pay whatever the designated amount to be eligible for an upgrade, can I still go into an apple store & get a phone?

Does at&t need the other phone back before I could get a new one? How does the trade in process work?

Thanks for your help.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
What was your monthly payment? What happens to those monthly payments that you have made thus far on the 6s Plus if you upgrade to the 7 Plus?
I'm paying around 42 a month I believe. Nothing happens to the payments. I made them and they went toward the theoretical purchase of the 6S, which I complete my obligation to upon return of the device at the time of upgrade.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
I'm paying around 42 a month I believe. Nothing happens to the payments. I made them and they went toward the theoretical purchase of the 6S, which I complete my obligation to upon return of the device at the time of upgrade.
Sounds like you paid $42*12 = $504 to basically lease the 6s from Apple for a year? Could you have tried to pay off the 6s in its entirety by paying off the $200-300 remaining balance, own it outright and then sell it yourself and then sign up for a new upgrade plan for the 7? I am not familiar with Apple's upgrade plan, so I am not really sure what options are available for folks that don't want to necessarily trade in their phone at the end of one year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.