iPhone 6S plus - "Touch ID does not recognize your fingerprint"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yaboyac29, Dec 17, 2015.

1. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2014
    Happening at least once a day, sometimes more and it's extremely annoying. Anyone else?

I try all 4 of my registered fingerprints and they give me the same error.

If I input the password and relock the phone, I can access it with the fingerprint again with no issues. Not sure if it's a software bug or hardware issue. This has started happening recently so I wonder if it's an issue with 9.2
  2. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Nov 25, 2009
    Edmonton, AB
    It hasn't happened to me (yet), and I upgraded to 9.2 the first day it was available.

3. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

Dec 8, 2015
    When this happens I simply wipe my fingers and then it works just fine
  4. yaboyac29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2014
    Doesn't work. It refuses all fingerprints until I type in the passcode
  5. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Oct 26, 2008
    It refuses to read my fingerprint after I washed my hands. Or if my hands are very dry and cracked.
  6. jetsam macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2015
    Does it still happen if you do fingerprint training, as described here?
  7. yaboyac29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2014
    lol this is a joke i think.

i had the 6 and never had issues with the fingerprint ready. not one time did it say it didn't recognize it.
  8. xRYD3Rx macrumors 6502

Jul 3, 2010
    Happens to me sometimes as well. Was working so good on iOS 9.0 when i was bought the phone launchd day.
    I recommend to wash your hands and completely dry them and clean the home botton and retry.
  9. yaboyac29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2014
    Does anyone ever read the content?

If I try it and it says not recognized, without cleaning my phone or fingers, if I enter the password, re lock the phone and try again using the same finger it all of a sudden works.

So it's not an issue with my hands being dirty but rather a software glitch or the button is failing.
  10. Vicrooloo macrumors regular

Dec 8, 2015
    I'm all out of solutions. Delete your fingers and enter them again.
  11. rugmankc Contributor

Sep 24, 2014
    My 1st fingerprint, index finger, works 100% all the time. Washed or not washed hands :)

However, if I do second fingerprint which would be my thumb it stops working in a day or two. Not a big deal for me.
  12. adamhenry macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2015
    On the Beach
    I use my thumb and index finger on my 6s and they have both been working since launch day.
  13. yaboyac29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 24, 2014
    It doesn't explain why it all of a sudden works after unlocking via code.

But yes I re added all the fingerprints. So we will see
  14. WilliamG macrumors G3

Mar 29, 2008
    This happens every winter. People's hands change a lot as the temperature drops. Last week when there was a particularly cold and dry day, neither my wife nor I could unlock our respective 6s devices consistently. Drove us nuts.
  15. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Feb 21, 2012
    New Jersey Pine Barrens
    This was a big problem on my 5s so I finally turned off touch ID. My new 6s+ is a bit better, but far from perfect.

I saw a suggestion to add more than one print of the finger(s) you use the most. Tried this and I believe it helps.