iPhone 6(S)(+) Iphone 6s Plus vs 7 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prior22, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Prior22 macrumors newbie

For the past several years I've had an old slider phone, mainly due to liking the physical keyboard (and also having a lower cell bill). However I've decided it's time to finally make the switch to a smartphone. Due to the easy to use interface, and supposed better audio quality, I'm going to buy an IPhone. However I'm debating whether to get an Iphone 6s plus or 7 plus.

I have a few questions for you guys:

-I've read the speaker quality is better with the seven. Is this noticeable? I would be streaming a lot of video, and would listen via the speakers, so speaker quality is very important.

-The seven has a significantly better chipset and RAM. However since I would mainly be using the phone for streaming video, such as MLB at bat and WWE network, would I really need the seven's improved RAM and chipset?

-The 7 no longer as a physical home button. Was this due to some sort of hardware issue making a physical button a reliability.

-The 7 has a hissing noise when the fan starts to run at a high speed. Does this occur often when streaming video and is it distracting?

-Since both the 6 and 7 have a 64 bit interface should they both be capable of running the latest IOS for years to come?

Thanks for any help provided :)

2. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

1. The speakers are better on the 7 plus and you will notice the difference.

2. The 7 will be faster than the 6S.

3. The new home button is supposed to be more durable and I think it was also to help for water resistance.
    *note that it is not waterproof but water resistant.

4. Never heard of this and never had it on my 7 plus.

5. The 7 will obviously last longer but the 6S is capable.

I would get a 7 plus as it will last you longer.

3. Prior22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you have the 32 GB model? I've read of poor streaming speeds with that model due to the 32 GB model having a different modem. And you've never had any issues in terms of the fan speed getting so intense you start to hear it?

4. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

I think you’re referring to Intel and Qualcomm modems? I never had any issues with fan speed or had any issues at all with my 7 Plus.

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/10/20/iphone-7-plus-qualcomm-modem-bests-intel-modem/amp/

5. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68020

BugeyeSTI

I had the 6s and didn’t upgrade to the 7 because after comparing it to my girlfriends 7 it wasn’t worth the upgrade for the negligible difference in performance. It has improvements in speakers, water resistance, camera and home button but loses the head phone jack. That being said, I would purchase the 7 now just because it’s the best bang for the buck right now in the lineup

6. Prior22 thread starter macrumors newbie

https://www.businessinsider.com/his...eird-hissing-noise-owners-say-buzzgate-2016-9

There's an article on the hissing noise. Am I to assume this never occurred with your model? Would this be the sort of issue that would be resolved with newer 7 Plus releases?

I know launch models of any sophisticated electronic are prone to issues. So perhaps this is just a case where the newer batches fixed whatever the problem was.

Also in what way are the 7 plus speakers improved? Just in terms of being louder?

7. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

8. Tmacc47 macrumors newbie

If you don't have a smartphone by now, I personally wouldn't get one because they are distracting and like you said, you would have a higher cell phone bill. If you ansist on getting a smartphone, I'd get the 7 plus.

9. MacLappy macrumors 6502

1. The 7 Plus is a better device.
    2. The 7 Plus has stereo speakers, there is a significant difference from the 6S plus in terms of quality and quantity.
    3. Touch iD is noticeably improved on the 7. It is easier for a physical button to get damage(over time) verses a purely virtual button as there are less moving parts.
    4. There is no fan in both devices.
    5. Depends on Apple, suffice to say getting a newer SOC especially one that is paired with more ram, would most likely also result in a longer duration of support.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I won’t Reiterate what everyone else has already said, but the 7 Plus is certainly the better option for said reasons. [Just the additional Ram alone is substantial enough to make the 7 Plus worthy]. Unless you’re someone that is interested in a 3.5 mm Jack, that would be the only advantage the 6S plus would offer.

11. maerz001, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

There is no fan in any iPhone. Where did u read this?
    Not even in ipads and MacBooks. No current smartphone has one. There was only one doggy „gamers“ smartphone in history...

12. KOTN91 macrumors member

They’re both legacy surfboards and extremely unwieldy. I would recommend the standard 6S or 7, or better yet the XR

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Why would the standard be better than the Plus?

14. TGM85 macrumors member

TGM85

I have owned an iPhone 7 Plus since release in 2016. Great device, still functions perfectly and it should be good for years more. I see no reason to upgrade to a newer model at this time.

I have not noticed any of the problems you describe.

Not having a physical home button is barely noticeable. I even forgot this was a thing until you mentioned it. The taptic engine in the 7 Plus really makes it feel as if you are clicking an actual button, it's quite a remarkable feat of engineering. No fans in the device as far as I'm aware, so not to worry about fan noise.

However, would I still get a new iPhone 7 Plus in 2019, for example if my current phone were to be stolen? To be honest, I don't think so. The iPhone 7 series will be 3 years old this year and will almost certainly be dropped from the Apple line up. If I were looking for a new phone to buy right now, I would take a long look at the iPhone XR. The XR seems to be a great value for money device.

15. puma1552 macrumors 603