Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Hello All

I am going to need a waterproof case for my 6s Plus in the near future. We are going to be taking part in some traveling around water, and thought it would be a good time to go back to a water proof case.

I have tried both Lifeproof cases for my 6s plus. I disliked the screen protector on the Fre, and the back of the Nuud was a scratch magnet. I was not impressed by either to be totally honest. I just saw both Aaron and Kristen's reviews for the Dog and Bone Impact. With a glass screen protector built in, I thought it might be a good option.

Anyone have a water proof preference?

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
On my iPhone 6 I used the Dog & Bone Wetsuit. Albeit more bulky than my LifeProof i preferred it. Very solid well built case. Haven't tried one on my 6s plus though. The LifeProofs aren't all they're cracked up to be at such a high price point. None of the waterproof cases I could end up standing for day to day use though. Muffled sound too much and I can't hear well.

And it looks like Dog and Bone has a few "new" offerings since when I got mine so might be a even better choice now.

Reactions: AE14

AE14

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
On my iPhone 6 I used the Dog & Bone Wetsuit. Albeit more bulky than my LifeProof i preferred it. Very solid well built case. Haven't tried one on my 6s plus though. The LifeProofs aren't all they're cracked up to be at such a high price point. None of the waterproof cases I could end up standing for day to day use though. Muffled sound too much and I can't hear well.

And it looks like Dog and Bone has a few "new" offerings since when I got mine so might be a even better choice now.
Thank you...the D&B impact also has a new price point on Amazon which could be worth it. Especially for under $50
[doublepost=1464013720][/doublepost]
Mobile tech reviews liked the ghost tek atomic 2 I believe.
True, however, the new D&B impact got their best score and rating. Thats why I am having such an issue..lol I typically trust Aaron 's reviews...Kristens as well

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Mobile tech reviews liked the ghost tek atomic 2 I believe.

I forgot I'd purchased this for my 6S plus. Has thrown in the closet. Well built, nice case. Hated how only factory charger would fit. Had the "new" iteration with enhanced mute switch mechanism and I still HATED it. definitely a solid case for the money though. Maybe I can snap a few pics for you if your interested.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
I forgot I'd purchased this for my 6S plus. Has thrown in the closet. Well built, nice case. Hated how only factory charger would fit. Had the "new" iteration with enhanced mute switch mechanism and I still HATED it. definitely a solid case for the money though. Maybe I can snap a few pics for you if your interested.
sure...thank you

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
sure...thank you
Dug the case out, just for you. Will have to wait until wife gets home to get pics in case. Here's how small charger hole is though. After using this just a few minutes more is coming back to me though. The screen protector is a built in oil/grease magnet and makes annoying noise as screen protector doesn't sit down on screen 100% flat.

Anything else you'd like to specifically see/know about Ghostek let me know!

98f0d3efd979f983a92dbf83916628b5.jpg

Very tiny opening(and to ensure waterproof integrity I get it, but super super tight even with just stock apple charger)

Edit: looks funny because didn't have case on phone. It's a shame though about its short comings, because this case is constructed super well in my opinion. Appears it would be very waterproof but I'm not trying, plenty of YouTube testers with more pockets than mine Lol

AE14

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Wow...received the D&B impact. There is no way that screen is glass. The case of far flimsier than the life proof. Already contacted Amazon and sending it back.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Hmm. Still seems like no good options for waterproof cases.
Agreed. I was not impressed with any of the ones I have tried. Would be interested in the pelican, but reviews say the same gap in the screen exists with the marine as well

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Agreed. I was not impressed with any of the ones I have tried. Would be interested in the pelican, but reviews say the same gap in the screen exists with the marine as well

Your going to LOL but I bought a ~$5 on eBay for my 6A Plus I like better than some of the expensive ones.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Likely going to go back to the nuud. Will keep my .2mm screen protector on since it seals.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'm also looking for a waterproof/dustproof case for my 6S. I've had a Fre for 4 months and it is falling apart, very poor durability.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I assume the Fre is on full time? What's falling apart, and did you reach out to Lifeproof about it since its only 4 months old? I'm curious how well they support their products.

I'm also looking for a waterproof/dustproof case for my 6S. I've had a Fre for 4 months and it is falling apart, very poor durability.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Likely going to go back to the nuud. Will keep my .2mm screen protector on since it seals.
My indecisiveness kicks in. Going to my local att store shortly to go take a look at the marine by pelican. Seems like a very sturdy and slim design.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
Ok, so I went to my local att store and picked up the pelican marine. First thoughts: far superior to the fre. The screen protector is more flush to the phone, the speakers project to the front which is huge, and the materials feel better quality.

It's a bit expensive $89.99 but I am greatly impressed. It's just as thin and seems better made.

Btw, I am typing this with the marine currently on

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I assume the Fre is on full time? What's falling apart, and did you reach out to Lifeproof about it since its only 4 months old? I'm curious how well they support their products.

The case is on all the time. The outer rubber edge is completely worn through on the front by the volume buttons. The rubber edge on the front and back has noticible wear. The screen protector is scratched and marked to the point that the display looks bad. It's had the rainbow effect since day one but I can live with that. The durability leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. I haven't contacted Lifeproof about it, but I will and see what they say. I honestly don't think my case is defective, I think the materials aren't up to the job.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I'm curious what they say. They obviously market it as a durable case.

The case is on all the time. The outer rubber edge is completely worn through on the front by the volume buttons. The rubber edge on the front and back has noticible wear. The screen protector is scratched and marked to the point that the display looks bad. It's had the rainbow effect since day one but I can live with that. The durability leaves a lot to be desired, IMO. I haven't contacted Lifeproof about it, but I will and see what they say. I honestly don't think my case is defective, I think the materials aren't up to the job.

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Ok, so I went to my local att store and picked up the pelican marine. First thoughts: far superior to the fre. The screen protector is more flush to the phone, the speakers project to the front which is huge, and the materials feel better quality.

It's a bit expensive $89.99 but I am greatly impressed. It's just as thin and seems better made.

Btw, I am typing this with the marine currently on
I'll give it another hour or so and you'll be taking out back...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.