iPhone 6s Plus Yellow Tint w/ pictures

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LLL1424, Nov 19, 2015.

?

Can you tell the difference in quality of screen ?

1. Definitely! That's a piss yellow and a perfect screen!

87.0%
  2. Heck no! They look identical!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I prefer the one on the right!

13.0%
  1. LLL1424 Contributor

LLL1424

So I know there's a thread about the yellow tint issue on basically every iPhone out there but I know people wanted comparisons of one good screen and one "yellow" tinted one with pictures so if you have pictures , post away!!

To the left of the picture is my iPhone 6s + AT&T 128G phone (TSMC chip if that matters) with a screen that looks great and to the right is my husbands TMO 64G ( Samsung chip) that well, looks yellow.

This picture IMO really captures the difference in a nice blue vivid screen and a dull piss yellow tint screen. It's unfortunate that this is still an issue. My husband tried to exchange his and got told that his screen is fine and functional (which is true) but quality is NOT.

Can you tell the difference?

image.jpeg

2. KiraYamato macrumors regular

KiraYamato

I don't mind a warm screen but that right one is horrible.

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

Of course we can see the difference. I think both are fine, personally. Next to each other, it's obvious there's a difference, but I don't really see a huge issue from my perspective. If anything, the one on the left is "pink" and the one on the right is actually more neutral, but of course there's only so much one can garner from a photo like this.

4. LLL1424 thread starter Contributor

LLL1424

You know, your not the first to say it's pink. Is that new? A pink tint? LOL.

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

No it's not new. It's just one of numerous screen-color tendencies. I actually prefer the screen on the right.

6. KiraYamato macrumors regular

KiraYamato

This is true though. I only found out that my 6s plus leaned towards a warmer screen when i out it next to my brother's cold blue tinted one.

7. WilliamG macrumors 604

I've found putting any two "identical" devices next to each other is enough to drive one completely crazy. That's why I never do it. Both of those screens are fine, in my humble opinion, and I'm obsessive about screen quality.

8. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Obviously noticeable, but I actually prefer the one on the right. It eases my eyes when viewing at night. Looking at a cool tinted screen actually hurts my eyes at night. So I prefer warmer.

9. Elisha, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

A cool screen makes everything look unnatural even though it may look nicer than a warmer one.
    The one on the right is more accurate.
    I also own the Galaxy S6 and it has an Adaptive mode that looks awesome and punchy but too cool and the Photo mode that looks like warm piss as soon as you switch to it. But after a while when your eyes adjust to it, you notice that pics and videos looks more natural, accurate and pleasing to the eye. And most importantly, when viewed in isolation, you don't notice that it's yellow at all. A cooler screen will make everything else not cooler than it yellowish in comparison.
    I prefer 5,500 to 6,000 Kelvin for my white point. But even 6,000 will look yellowish when placed beside 6,500 Kelvin.
    Photograpic and Film daylight white balance point is 5,500/5,600 btw.

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

This is a problem with the upstream screen supplier. I don't know who is supplying Apple these days (Samsung, LG, etc.), but my 4K Samsung TV has the same problem with a nice yellow blotch in the center.

Apple has not pressured Samsung to fix the problem, because they keep buying from them. Until Apple puts pressure on, Samsung won't do anything. I emailed them, and they consider it normal and not covered under warranty.

Makes no sense to brag about "retina" and "resolution" if your screen is yellow, or has blotches.

No, it is not due to glue. No, it is not more accurate. That's a load of crap someone fed you to make you feel better.

11. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

Doubt that the screen is made by Samsung. Samsung only makes AMOLED these days for mobile devices. AMOLED doesn't have uneven lighting issues and in most cases the newer generation ones since the Note 4 onwards have been superior to what Apple's LCD has been offering.
    The screen is probably from JDI or some other Japanese manufacturer.
    The 6 used LG and JDI.

12. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I don't know who is supplying these days, but Samsung supplied all the way up to the 6 Plus from last year IIRC. It is simply not true that Samsung only makes AMOLED displays.

13. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

No they didn't. Last year was LG and JDI.

14. Liat macrumors member

The left one has a horizontal red-blue color shift that’s why it’s disturbing.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple