Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparker781

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
My girl has a weird issue. She charges her phone however when it hits 80% it starts vibrating and the screen flickers between the battery icon and time on the lock screen.

Not sure what the issue is since I use Android.

Thanks

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Decidedly odd, is it always exactly 80%?

Normally an iPhone vibrating endlessly while charging could indicate a few things such as water damage, a bad battery, a faulty screen or a badly earthed/faulty power supply. Though that's by no means an exhaustive list.

Try the easy things first which are, hard reboot the device by holding the home and power buttons until the Apple logo appears then release the buttons.

Then use the iPhone until the battery completely drains, without any top-up charges, and switches itself off.

Then use a verified good quality power supply and charging cable (not some random cheap off-brand one from eBay or such) make sure it's either official Apple or MFI certified, which many sold on eBay claim to be but actually aren't at all. Anker are a good choice if you want reliable but good prices.

Beyond that, take it into an Apple Store for them to hook it up to their diagnostic system. They'll find any actual hardware issues that may exist and are usually very good at offering you a replacement or at least a decent price for a repair that you can rely on.

sparker781

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2015
Thank You TrueBlou. To be honest I deal with iPhones at work and that's the first thing I suggested was to bring it into a store. I'll see what she says. She's very hard headed.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Ha, that's women for you.

Not that I'm daring to generalise and suggest that all women are the same. Far from it.

Women are as delightfully individual, unique and varied as we could possibly hope for and that's why we love them. My wife managed what I thought was impossible, to become my wife. I didn't want one of those, I was enjoying my lifestyle of partying and, well, let's just say everything that goes along with that. Yet here I am, 8 years into our relationship and very happily married, bizarre, unexpected but wonderful.

But they are all bloody stubborn :p

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
A hard reboot is only required if the device cannot start up and is frozen- read: not responding to touch (that's why touch devices have a reboot functionality that simulates a battery pull). A restart should be tried first and is probably the healthier option, and the reason that Apple explains the restart everywhere and the forced reboot only in some sections of their website.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
A hard reboot is only required if the device cannot start up and is frozen- read: not responding to touch (that's why touch devices have a reboot functionality that simulates a battery pull). A restart should be tried first and is probably the healthier option, and the reason that Apple explains the restart everywhere and the forced reboot only in some sections of their website.

Nonsense, a hard reset gives you a clean state to start from. One of the most important aspects of diagnostic troubleshooting is having a starting position with as few potential problematic parameters as possible.

A soft restart, i.e. a normal power cycle restores everything to the same state as it was before switching off. While that is sometimes enough to resolve minor issues it is in no way as useful as having a clean slate to work from.

Hard resets do not affect any permanent information or settings, they simply clean out the many, many cached files and random information held in memory. That saves you the trouble of chasing your tail if a problem is caused by a cached file that would be restored again by a simple power cycle.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
A hard restart also doesn't save any files that might be worked on or currently synced. That sounds like a recipe for trouble down the road. I also don't know anybody who powers their desktop machines of by pulling the power cable out he back - and this procedure is similar.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
A hard restart also doesn't save any files that might be worked on or currently synced. That sounds like a recipe for trouble down the road. I also don't know anybody who powers their desktop machines of by pulling the power cable out he back - and this procedure is similar.

Well you're welcome to your own opinion of course and thankfully we all have different opinions or it would be a bloody boring place ;)
Your experiences with these devices may well be different from my years of diagnosing/fixing/programming for and of course using iOS devices and thats good, because one way or another across varied experiences the right answer manifests itself. If we all thought the same thing we'd be chasing our tails forever.

Or to put it another way, I can't really be arsed debating the subject :D

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nonsense, a hard reset gives you a clean state to start from. One of the most important aspects of diagnostic troubleshooting is having a starting position with as few potential problematic parameters as possible.

A soft restart, i.e. a normal power cycle restores everything to the same state as it was before switching off. While that is sometimes enough to resolve minor issues it is in no way as useful as having a clean slate to work from.

Hard resets do not affect any permanent information or settings, they simply clean out the many, many cached files and random information held in memory. That saves you the trouble of chasing your tail if a problem is caused by a cached file that would be restored again by a simple power cycle.
A regular restart boots up fresh and doesn't restore anything more than a reset does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.