Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
I remember reading a lot about how relatively easily the screen would scratch on the iPhone 6 vs other smartphones and even moreso than other iPhone versions. People were saying this was because Apple went away from Gorilla glass using a material that wasn't quite as tough. I haven't found much of any discussion regarding the screen so far on the 6s- does anyone know if they used actual Gorilla Glass this time? And if not, is there any indication or actual testing that has proven it is more resistant to scratches than the 6 was?

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Well Apple claims the the 6S has the strongest glass on a smart phone! Ion X glass they call it... Sorry but I have no idea who makes the glass for the 6S and if it's anymore scratch resistant than the 6 was. I am using a screen protector just incase!

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
The 6s glass is way more scratch resistant. I had two iPhone 6es and they both had micro scratches days after unboxing.

I've had my 6s for over a week and the screen is flawless under all lights and all angles. I'm impressed.

DIRSGT

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
NC
I am not impressed by my 6s +. The front glass already has light scratches (two corners and one light scratch middle side). I assume it is from placing the phone in and out of the front pocket of my computer bag. The is nothing else in this pocket with the phone, but it does slide across nylon zipper teeth and it may bumped the metal zipper itself. Last time I had scratch on the front glass was on my iPhone 3gs. My 4s and 5s were scratch free. Heck, the 4s was never in a case and only had a back skin for 2 years. I WAS going to do the same with my 6s+...not now. Stinks....:(

Reactions: madKIR

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
The 6s glass is way more scratch resistant. I had two iPhone 6es and they both had micro scratches days after unboxing.

I've had my 6s for over a week and the screen is flawless under all lights and all angles. I'm impressed.

I have had quite literally the opposite experience. My 6+ had no major scratches after a year but my 6S+ already has 3 or 4 noticeable gouges on the screen. I don't baby the phone but I also don't beat on it.

At this point I suppose I don't really care. I ripped the case off it the other day and am just going to roll with it naked. Signed up for the IUP so I have no resale value to protect, know I'll be getting a phone yearly, and have two incidents of AppleCare+ yearly.

What's the point of a case anymore? Just as well enjoy the phone's design and feel.

Reactions: DIRSGT

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I have had quite literally the opposite experience. My 6+ had no major scratches after a year but my 6S+ already has 3 or 4 noticeable gouges on the screen. I don't baby the phone but I also don't beat on it.

At this point I suppose I don't really care. I ripped the case off it the other day and am just going to roll with it naked. Signed up for the IUP so I have no resale value to protect, know I'll be getting a phone yearly, and have two incidents of AppleCare+ yearly.

What's the point of a case anymore? Just as well enjoy the phone's design and feel.

Agree 100% on the point of protecting the resale value. I'm also on the IUP.

As far as your screen goes, I've never had anything near what I would define as a "gouge". Maybe your phone came into contact with something in one of your pockets. My 6 only had the micro-scratches that could only be seen under certain lighting conditions.

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Agree 100% on the point of protecting the resale value. I'm also on the IUP.

As far as your screen goes, I've never had anything near what I would define as a "gouge". Maybe your phone came into contact with something in one of your pockets. My 6 only had the micro-scratches that could only be seen under certain lighting conditions.

Yeah, they all came up this week. I haven't had screen scratches this bad since the 4S. Not really sure how they cropped up.

jm31828

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Bothell, Washington
Thanks for the responses. Sounds mixed, like what I had read regarding the 6. Maybe I am just overly careful with my phones, but my old phone (not Apple) was used two years with no screen protector and has not a single micro scratch on it. Not sure if that's because it has gorilla glass on it, or because I was just extra careful with it. I kept it in a pouch with a soft interior lining any time I was not actually using it- so the screen was never in contact with anything other than that soft lining or my finger. So far I've had my 6s for a week and a half and am treating it the same way- no screen protector, but keeping it in that pouch any time I'm not actively using the phone. So I guess I don't need to worry, but was just curious as I would hate to get micro scratches even in the careful way that I use it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I always use a screen protector, why risk it. If you buy a good quality one and apply it properly then it won't even be noticeable in use.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
This always confuses me, I have had 8 iPhones over the years and not one of them has had scratches on the screen, I did have this problem before with Blackberry's and other phones with plastic screens but never with any iPhones despite them being very exposed in my pocket with nothing protecting the screen. I had lots of dust issues with black phones (I now have the White 6s) but scratches on the glass were never a problem (but then again I've never dropped one so far). I used a screen protector once (the most expensive one applied by Best Buy) and it felt and looked horrible so I eventually removed it. My solution is Apple Care, if I do drop and damage the screen then I will use a replacement incident but this has never happened to me yet.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
This always confuses me, I have had 8 iPhones over the years and not one of them has had scratches on the screen, I did have this problem before with Blackberry's and other phones with plastic screens but never with any iPhones despite them being very exposed in my pocket with nothing protecting the screen. I had lots of dust issues with black phones (I now have the White 6s) but scratches on the glass were never a problem (but then again I've never dropped one so far). I used a screen protector once (the most expensive one applied by Best Buy) and it felt and looked horrible so I eventually removed it. My solution is Apple Care, if I do drop and damage the screen then I will use a replacement incident but this has never happened to me yet.

Apple Care is a very expensive screen protector.:eek:
Cheap and poor quality screen protectors are visible and 'sticky' when sliding your finger over the screen. Good quality protectors feel just like glass after the first hour or so of use and don't need replacing either. I've never had a problem with Spiegen crystal protectors, but I have had problems with other equally (and more) expensive screen protectors.

DynamicSausage

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2015
Leicestershire, UK
Just had a look over and my 6S plus is still perfect, which is nice but micro-scratches never really bothered me. I'm not expecting it to stay perfect forever, my watch already has a few decent lines across it and my friend (who got his a good few months after) is in the same situation.

Then, after looking, I accidentally smacked the corner of my phone on the metal desk and it didn't even leave a blemish. Very durable phone so far I think.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
Apple Care is a very expensive screen protector.:eek:
Cheap and poor quality screen protectors are visible and 'sticky' when sliding your finger over the screen. Good quality protectors feel just like glass after the first hour or so of use and don't need replacing either. I've never had a problem with Spiegen crystal protectors, but I have had problems with other equally (and more) expensive screen protectors.
Apple Care is much more than a screen protector but if you think those screen protectors are hardly noticeable then go for it :)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Apple Care is much more than a screen protector but if you think those screen protectors are hardly noticeable then go for it :)

If you choose the right protector then they are completely unnoticeable, and I vouch for that. I've tried loads over the years and stuck with Spiegen in the end because they're clear as glass, feel like glass and look like glass. Zero issues with them. I'll admit that a good 95%+ of protectors on the market either have problems with clarity or feel, and that includes expensive brands too.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
It is far more scratch resistant than the 6. My 6s has very few micro scratches while my 6 got them very easily.

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
If you choose the right protector then they are completely unnoticeable, and I vouch for that. I've tried loads over the years and stuck with Spiegen in the end because they're clear as glass, feel like glass and look like glass. Zero issues with them. I'll admit that a good 95%+ of protectors on the market either have problems with clarity or feel, and that includes expensive brands too.
'completely unnoticeable' :)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
'completely unnoticeable' :)

In terms of not having ophthalmic or touch issues, yes. A top class screen protector is unnoticeable. On flat screens they visually disappear too, but sadly on screens with curved edges you can see where the protector starts and finishes. I would much rather that than seeing scratches though...

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US

That's because they are glass. I have one of those on my phone too. Very nice.

DIRSGT

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
NC
Well, I thought about it (crazy, I know) and believe I figured out why and when my screen scratches occurred. First, the long light scratch on the side probably occurred when my Apple remote fell on the face of the phone while on the couch. The 2 corner scratches (1 kind of deep) came from my computer bag's front pocket. In the back of the pocket I found a smooth interior metal zipper (like inside a suitcase) keeping the lining together/closed. This zipper was never an issue for my 5s due to the phone's smaller size. A word to the wise for those going without a screen protector...carefully analyze where ya shove your phone.

Reactions: roeiz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.