iPhone 6S shuts down randomly with greater than 20% charge

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Azadre, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Azadre macrumors 6502

I have a day 1 iPhone 6S, and it's still within warranty.
    It is running the most up to date version of iOS, and is always charged with OEM chargers.

However, over the last week I have noticed that my phone will randomly shut off even though it wasn't <5 % battery left and when I try to turn it on the red battery indicator light comes on. This happened again today just now, and when I plugged the phone in it came back to life after 30 seconds with approximately 30% charge.

Is this a known bug with the newest version of iOS or is this something I could take to Apple for a warranty fix?

2. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

Not sure.

Mine (6S+) did it once when I was out camping, the ambient temp was about 50F. I was playing some music and it shut off with something like 52% battery showing. Same thing, red battery symbol showing. Plugged it in and it immediately turned back on and showing charging with 52% battery.

I imagine people will tell you to run it down to 0% until it shuts off to calibrate it, but who knows why it does this. Mine's been fine otherwise.

3. dmx macrumors 6502a

More than likely your battery is shot and needs to be replaced. Should he covered under warranty!

You can try calibrating your battery (charge to 100 percent, drain to 0, charge to 100 percent) but to be honest I've never heard of this working in a case like yours.

I'd just make a Genius Bar appointment and get the battery swapped.

4. Alexrat1996 Suspended

Call Apple care they can run diagnostic free of charge with Apple care plus

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I agree with dmx. It sounds a lot like a bad battery to me.

6. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Its a bug in iOS which cant be fixed and its not ur battery

7. smallfox macrumors newbie

I've had that happen a number of times on my 6 in the last couple of months

8. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

Run the "Battery Life" app. It will tell you if your battery is bad and needs to be replaced which is probably what's causing this to happen.

9. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

My 6 does exactly this every once in a while. What sucks is when you don't have a cable, the device is a brick. Sometimes I'll look down and it shows 10% (which doesn't seem right) so i plug it in and it immediately jumps back up to 40-50%.

10. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502a

ThunderMasterMind

If you are on iOS 9, then that will happen anyway. iOS 9 did that everyday with my 6S. I believe its a bug that's been in iOS 9 for a while now. I don't have this issue anymore on iOS 10 though.

11. Azadre thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems a restore fixed my problem but I will be mad if it comes back after the warrenty expires.

12. dmx macrumors 6502a

I'd definitely check your battery health regardless - this can be done with free Mac/PC apps such as coconut battery or iBackupbot. Or Battery Life on the App Store.
    If these show your battery capacity is less than 80 percent of original capacity you are eligible for a replacement under warranty.

Even if not - I personally would take it into the Genius Bar anyways and explain what happened, there's a good chance you'all walk out with a fresh battery regardless.

Battery Life: check internal battery statistics by Robert Tkotzyk
    https://appsto.re/us/zeBBab.i

13. ThunderMasterMind macrumors 6502a

ThunderMasterMind

I don't think it's a hardware issue, so much that its a bug in iOS 9 (that existed when I got my 6S and continued to do until I switched to iOS 10). It's one of the reasons I couldn't stand iOS 9 and a reason why I classify it as the worst iOS version ever. It should stop when you get the iOS 10 update later this month, but then again checking the battery's life isn't a bad idea either.

14. mcaswell macrumors member

My 5s has done this on occasion, the most recent time being yesterday, when it shut down despite an indication of 25% charge remaining. Equally odd, after a couple of minutes on the car charger, when I pulled it off the charger it said 26%, and I continued to use it down to about 20% before I again got in the car and plugged it in.

15. Azadre thread starter macrumors 6502

It happened again today at work, so I took it to the Apple Store but it passed their Battery test. Oh well. I refuse to pay $100 or whatever it will be for a new battery when this one starts to fail their test.

16. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

this problem really sucks.

however, i found a solution, i'm trading it for a new iPhone 7 through at&t. hopefully they figured out the problem and fixed it.

17. Azadre thread starter macrumors 6502

Happened again today after several days of not happening. I could confirm on coconut battery that I had >20% battery when it occurred and the battery life read 81%. What a cheap joke after 1 year.

I might trade it in, but it's a 64 GB 6S and it's worth more than a 16 GB 6

18. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

Something is seriously wrong the battery or firmware. Mine is even worse on iOS10 just now i looked at phone and it said 25% left. Looked at the battery usage...1:30 usage 8 hrs standby. Plugged it in and it jumped up to 67%, WTF. My girlfriends 5s is doing the same thing. Within a few minutes of plugging her phone in and unplugging it, the battery jumped to 4 wildly different values. Be glad when my 7 comes in today.

19. dmx macrumors 6502a

I'd honestly take it back to the Apple Store again. Tell them it's happened multiple times, if the genius doesn't bite ask to speak to a manager and explain to them (respectfully) - it's not acceptable

20. Azadre thread starter macrumors 6502

No appointments are available until after the warranty expires for any of the nearby Apple stores. I tried a 3rd party, but they said they have to mail it out and it takes up to a week.

21. Azadre, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Azadre thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple says battery is fine again. They won't even let me replace it since it hasn't failed.

Edit: Rather, they said it's failing but yet failed. They said come back in a couple of weeks and would check again. Too bad the warranty will expire next week.

Edit 2: I just traded it in to AT&T. No problems.