Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Sprint Car Capital of the World
Do you remember when the iPhone 6/6s were shutting down with nearly a full charge. They had a battery replacement deal and then a software fix that seemed to solve the problem. Well, mine had those problems then, and then with the software update it quit having the problems. Now it is doing it again ... literally out of the blue! It went from going a whole day on a full charge one day and then the next day it now dies after about 5 minutes off of the charger (or less). Is anyone else experiencing this?

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Did you get the battery replaced before? If not then might be the best choice this time around.

jwzimm

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2017
This is the other side of the coin of the de-clocking (slow down) fix Apple put in place to compensate for aging batteries. They wanted to avoid having the user experience marred by unexpected shutdowns so they implemented a fix whereby the phone would slow down the processor to avoid a low voltage shutdown. When folks figured this out Apple was pilloried for it so in iOS 11.3 they turned off that functionality by default. The end result is you are now seeing the shutdowns that are being caused by your battery being worn out.

Go in to Settings > Battery > Battery Health (Beta). It is likely that you will see your phone's battery is severely worn and not able to support proper charging and peak voltage output. Time to get your battery replaced.

Reactions: akash.nu

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Do you remember when the iPhone 6/6s were shutting down with nearly a full charge. They had a battery replacement deal and then a software fix that seemed to solve the problem. Well, mine had those problems then, and then with the software update it quit having the problems. Now it is doing it again ... literally out of the blue! It went from going a whole day on a full charge one day and then the next day it now dies after about 5 minutes off of the charger (or less). Is anyone else experiencing this?
If you haven’t had a new battery installed I’d start there.

eliahchen

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
If you haven’t had a new battery installed I’d start there.

Yeah the new update is causing my iPhone to flash and crash the app then back to the home screen and back to the menu. Often freezes my apps or runs slower. They also told me that my charger port was broken. But after the update no more problem. My battery went up from I think 71-79% to 81% to 91% after the updates. Apple is really disappointing.

I am disabled from a drunk driver. I get non stop seizures and spasms and had a medical break down and my phone fell from my hands from a result. Apple said I had thrown down my phone on purpose. And said because it was on purpose I had to pay to get it repaired. I was dying so I couldn't sue them at the time or fight them. I am disgusted with Apple and its employees in Pasadena. I called support, and they told me your complaint is noted that you never had a problem and never called about a problem. They said all my calls were resolved and to thank them about how great they were.

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Just an update ... I took my iPhone 6s in because the phone would shut off with a full charge. They told me the battery was bad and that they would replace it at no cost because of the initial 6s battery replacement program regarding phones produced between Sept.-Oct. 2015 (or whatever it was). So ... I came back to pick up my repaired phone and they told me my battery was "gassing" and that they were just giving me a new phone. Done and done!

Reactions: TiggrToo

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Just an update ... I took my iPhone 6s in because the phone would shut off with a full charge. They told me the battery was bad and that they would replace it at no cost because of the initial 6s battery replacement program regarding phones produced between Sept.-Oct. 2015 (or whatever it was). So ... I came back to pick up my repaired phone and they told me my battery was "gassing" and that they were just giving me a new phone. Done and done!

How's that for good customer service? Good on Apple to help you out. The sticker shock to get another marginal upgrade (7 or 8) wouldn't be something one would want to see if their 6S does the job well enough.

eliahchen

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016
How's that for good customer service? Good on Apple to help you out. The sticker shock to get another marginal upgrade (7 or 8) wouldn't be something one would want to see if their 6S does the job well enough.

they told me the warranty is up and so they have no obligations to help me. Maybe its cause I'm handicapped.

eliahchen

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2016

Btw congrats. Was yours a serial number that had problems? Others like myself are experiencing very similar problems and software shut downs. But we are not part of the serial numbers that have problems and it seems like they are treating those people differently.

Last edited by a moderator:

ebook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2004
Btw congrats. Was yours a serial number that had problems? Others like myself are experiencing very similar problems and software shut downs. But we are not part of the serial numbers that have problems and it seems like they are treating those people differently.
Mine was a serial number that had problems. The first person I talked to saw that, but when I came to pick up it it up it took a little while to convince that person ... they went into the back and five minutes later came out and told me I was good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.