iPhone 6(S)(+) iPhone 6s still shuts down

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DaveTheRave, Apr 7, 2018.

1. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

It’s running iOS 11.3. Battery at 88% capacity. Battery screen says performance management kicked in because of an early shutdown.

What can I do to really fix this? New battery?

2. niji Contributor

niji

my capacity is showing at 87%. a friend of mine's is showing at 88%.
    but my friend and mine show that the performance management software has not kicked in yet.
    in your case you can only "fix" it by getting the battery replaced.
    but why i am answering this thread is because in both my case and my friend's case we are both experiencing very quick battery drain between about 40% to 0%. like within maybe 45 or 60 minutes of just email etc.
    replacement battery availability is an issue in most countries.

3. DaveTheRave thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes our 6s has horrible battery life. And we took advantage of the free 6s battery replacement over a year ago.

There’s no doubt in my mind that the 6s series is somehow flawed. Really disappointed with Apple on this one. Frustrating.

4. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

New battery is an easy and cheap fix.

Capacity is only one side effect of battery aging. Other factors like internal resistance and impedance also track with age and cause unexpected shutdowns.

5. eliahchen macrumors newbie

eliahchen

I am not surprised. Apple support is crap now. I called and they told me that for years that I complained, they said they had no knowledge about it and that I probably called to tell them how great they were. The managers do nothing about any of my complaints. They said they will log it but never do. In fact the last time I checked my phone I kept telling them about damages. They said no. Now the warranty is up , they said yes. And they said my plug was broken, but turned out software issue.

They told me my battery was at 71% but after the update its at 89%!!!!!!! WTF type of ******** are you scamming APPLE/Tim Cook! STEVE JOBS RIP! TIM COOK loves him? But spits on everything he does.

My last phone replacement, I was about to die. I had a seizure and a spasm and my phone flew flying down. The managers said I did it on purpose and that I had a seizure on purpose! But I had to fly down the next day overseas to get my surgery done cause the US deemed they wouldn't do it. They said it was too dangerous but if I switched insurance they would do it cause they would have money. Doctors in the US are frauds. All they care about is money. The surgery saved my life. So much backwards crap in the US and loopholes.

6. mlody macrumors 6502a

My daughter has 6S that reports 87% battery and also shuts down when getting closer to %30-40 battery left. this usually happens when she is out and it is cold. Her replacement battery is already ordered, so hoping that within the next several weeks, we will get it taken care of. BTW, her phone has Samsung chipset - not sure if this matter or not.

7. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I have a 6s that in December I had replaced under warranty. (I got lucky and actually has the entire transaction completed in three hours) Battery life on 11.3/11.4b1 is stellar. In general I have never had any issues with battery life on my 6s other than that I wish it were longer.

8. eliahchen macrumors newbie

eliahchen

Your lucky. I wanted to do a battery replacement and they refused. They said they do not let people get a battery replacement unless its above 67%, I believe. I was really upset. I was at the Apple Pasadena store.

9. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

They do battery replacements this year essentially no matter what the battery wear is like.

10. eliahchen macrumors newbie

eliahchen

When did this happen? I went to the Apple Store in Feb or early march and they said I couldn't qualify and that the option wouldn't even be available to me. Like I said they required that you be below a certain battery level.

11. JackieInCo Suspended

Apple announced a few months back that even if the battery tests good, you can pay to get the battery replaced for the one time fee of about $29.

My 6S has a new battery, got it replaced back in November and it's on iOS 101.1. Even before I got the battery replaced, it never shut down and the health was at 89%.

12. eliahchen macrumors newbie

eliahchen

I know , but then they told me that they got a new policy cause, they said too many people were taking advantage of the battery change and it was abusive and so they said, if your battery doesn't say like 59-67% you wouldn't be able to have the option of a battery replacement.

13. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/

• Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, available worldwide through December 2018. Details will be provided soon on apple.com.

14. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

This is BS. For $29 they will replace your battery no matter what condition it is in.

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Not sure what the 59-67% number is given that the battery isn't considered to be all that stable/good pretty much after 80% capacity. That aside, there's no "abuse" as Apple themselves allowed anyone with the phone models that fall under this program to replace their batteries if they want to.

16. shankar2 macrumors 6502a

If you google search for iPhone 6s battery replacement you will find an Apple support site where you can enter your serial number and you may qualify for free replacement for unexpected shutdowns I qualified n Apple replaced for free

17. shankar2 macrumors 6502a

Here’s the link u can thank me later

https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6s-unexpectedshutdown/

18. JackieInCo Suspended

I already had mine replaced in November by a private place here in Denver. Apple said my battery was normal and would not replace it. This was back before the throttling news came out.

19. eliahchen macrumors newbie

eliahchen

Yeah they said the same thing for me. But its crazy that with every update my phone's battery keeps getting better. I mean seriously! I can expect it if it was 5% jump or something. But from like 79% to 92% and now back to 90%.

The service is just horrible. They told me my power port was completely broken. And then an update for accessories kicked in and no more problem. And the customer service kept telling me I called but never a single complaint. They said I called and they marked it as resolved and that I thanked them for a job well done. And there was never a mention of any complaint or any problems!

My last phone before this, they refused to repair it under accidental warranty. I was hit by a drunk driver and ended up with seizures and spasms. The apple store in Pasadena said I purposely had a seizure and threw my phone. And of course they said there was no mention about it either. I used to defend Apple and recommend them to people all the time.

Apple = RIP = Steve Jobs

20. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

I’m glad there is a battery replacement program for these elegant and alluring device.

Nothing but the bestest handcrafted phones of elegance and essence

21. mvray macrumors newbie

6S here too. Battery health max capacity shows 89%. With "performance management" off and charge around 50% it crashes when updating apps and "performance management" automatically toggles back on. Called Apple over a year ago when the iP6S battery replacement program was announced and my iP6S serial number was within the affected range. Was getting periodic crashes but then it stopped crashing (and we now know why). Apple said that even though I was within the affected sn range they wouldn't replace the battery b/c it stopped crashing. Fast forward to now. Scheduled $29 battery replacement through Apple and pointed out the iP6S battery replacement program and now Apple will cover the cost. Battery replacement scheduled later next week and we'll see how it goes.

22. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

I replaced my battery and I’m having solid battery life. What is y’all doing? Oh and I replaced my battery myself, don’t count on Apple. $25 on amazon and good to go

23. miragebg macrumors 6502a

On which iOS version do you keep your 6S?
    What's your battery stats with the new battery?

24. barondebxl macrumors 6502

barondebxl

I’m on 11.3 and I’m having all day battery life easily. I don’t really check stats and stuff. I ordered a yondex battery from amazon and installed it. So far it’s performing really well

25. TheSkywalker77 macrumors 6502a

TheSkywalker77

I think there's some issue with the 6s batteries then. I have the 6 Plus and haven't encountered this issue. My mother, however has the 6s. I'll call her and ask about her battery life.