Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have a 6S that I am thinking of giving a 6 yr old to send messages, do FaceTime, watch some videos and run some educational apps. I want to be able to lock it down using screen time and parental controls. Will a 6s updated to the latest os support all this? If not, I will get an iPod touch.

thanks.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a 6S that I am thinking of giving a 6 yr old to send messages, do FaceTime, watch some videos and run some educational apps. I want to be able to lock it down using screen time and parental controls. Will a 6s updated to the latest os support all this? If not, I will get an iPod touch.

thanks.
It should. I know parental controls have been around for a long time. I am currently using parental controls on an iPhone 5 that's running iOS 10 (for my 12 year old daughter).

Reactions: kat.hayes

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Parental controls should be available as those were available much earlier, screen time is somewhat more recent, so it depends on whether or not the iOS version that's on the device (or the latest that's available for it) supports it.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
How effective do you find parental controls? I want to be able to limit or completely restrict what she searches for in safari. She has been searching for “pj mask” and I’m concerned about what might come up with a slight typo...

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Set up a fully locked down example on your personal phone and try it out for yourself before committing to giving one to a little kid. It's fast & easy to change the settings.

Reactions: kat.hayes

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
It will. I handed down my 6s to my 11 year old for her first phone. It’s set up so my wife or I have to approve or deny any app she wants to download. You can disable the phone after a certain time of day while leaving only the message and phone and music or whatever you want active. You can also see how much time is spent on what. Just update it to the newest update and you’ll be good.
It goes into detail on what apps, music, and websites are allowed. And when you set the password on the phone there is a section to check so they can’t change the password or log out of their Apple ID.
[automerge]1595661113[/automerge]
My wife and I monitor this on our new SEs that came out this year. The girls were given iPad 2 a couple of years ago from a relative and they’re too old to do this. Those won’t update past 9 or 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.