Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jweber88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
I am not sure if it has already been asked/answered, but I have a friend who recently purchased an iPhone 6S for his wife. They have a macbook 2007 running OS X 10.6. In order to backup and sync her existing with iTunes they need the current version of iTunes which only runs on 10.8 or later. They tried installing 10.8 and were told it is not compatible with their laptop. Is there a workaround to get them somewhat up to date like installing lion (10.7) and then mountain lion (10.8) or something else entirely different? I want to help them really bad and feel helpless!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a 2006 MBP (17") running 10.6.8 and two phones with iOS 9.

But since my MBP has an Intel chip I also have Windows 7 Pro installed. That's my workaround. I boot into Win7 and use iTunes in Win7 to sync with my phones.

Snow Leopard will handle XP, Vista and Windows 7. If you have a spare copy of one of those operating systems lying around you can install it via Bootcamp in the Utilities folder. The Snow Leopard DVD will have the Bootcamp drivers which will let the hardware of the Mac function with Windows. Then just install iTunes (after you've updated everything) and you should be able to sync.

gMacbookPro

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
NYC
I am not sure if it has already been asked/answered, but I have a friend who recently purchased an iPhone 6S for his wife. They have a macbook 2007 running OS X 10.6. In order to backup and sync her existing with iTunes they need the current version of iTunes which only runs on 10.8 or later. They tried installing 10.8 and were told it is not compatible with their laptop. Is there a workaround to get them somewhat up to date like installing lion (10.7) and then mountain lion (10.8) or something else entirely different? I want to help them really bad and feel helpless!

use iClould backup if no other ways.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.