iPhone 6S... The BIGGEST Battery jump for iPhone? 4 reasons....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Mar 18, 2015.

1. DBZmusicboy01, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

• iOS 9.. The biggest feature will be optimizing and performance/bug fixes.

• 5-15 percent bigger battery casing.

• OLED screen with force touch.

• A9 faster and smaller diei chip.

If the 4.7 only lasts 11 hours on wifi.
    The 6S 4.7 will get around 16 hours.
    Sounds crazy but I am certain for those 4 reasons. It makes sense..
    I wouldn't be surprise if it lasts twice as long maybe even up to 22 hours on wifi. But that's if they use all 4 strategies.
    Who agrees ?

2. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

I'm confused as to where you're getting this battery information.

3. DBZmusicboy01 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Force touch rumors.
    And the iOS 9
    But in order to have force touch
    We need to get OLED
    Apple has to have a big S update because every S cycle has a special update.
    Siri
    Touch ID

4. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

So where does that battery part come from? The 6S will almost certainly have the same casing as the 6.

5. Kapybarus macrumors member

Oled? Forget good battery life. IOS is quite white interface + wwb pages are mostly white so oled will not save battery but drain it even more.

6. puma1552 macrumors 601

youre going to be so disappointed its not even funny

when will people learn? there are never enormous jumps like that with apple, 11 to 16 hours? no way

forget the oled screen too, itll be another year of lowly lcds

7. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

You're biggest battery jump will be from a 4 to a 6 plus.

8. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

OLED display will most likely have to wait until iPhone 7.

9. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I don't see Apple moving to OLED ever.
    The slightly larger battery makes sense (see iPhone 5 to 5s), made possible by design improvements in the internals.
    A9 is faster, but any power savings will likely be channeled towards improved performance. The end result is a faster device overall with the same (or at best, slightly better) battery life.

10. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

All of the points, except for maybe the A9 processor are pure speculation.

On the A9, switching from the current 20 nm process to the rumored 14 or 16 nm process alone will create a substantial power consumption reduction. For the iPhone 6/6 Plus, the A8 cut the processor's power consumption by half. However, the larger screen and increased graphics resolution consumed most of the power savings.

With the A9, Apple could do a simple die shrink and pool all of the improvements into increased battery life. But, the A8 only resulted in a 25% performance increase, because Apple chose to optimize the battery life and allocate more power to the larger screen and graphics.

Because of that, I would expect that Apple will opt for a much larger performance improvement and add more RAM, both of which potentially increase power consumption. Because the 6/6 Plus already increased the battery life compared to the 5s, I think Apple will go more for pedal to the metal speed and keep the battery life about the same.

I don't see Apple going to a larger battery or OLED screen, unless Apple does away with the S cycle altogether. The major point of the S cycle is to carry over most of the basic internals in order to minimize production costs and maintain margins. Most of the changes with the S models don't require major retooling, and the shared components further decrease the costs.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

So another 6s thread about a bunch of random guesses/wishes?

12. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

op works for apple, and is leaking actual facts publicly on a forum.

</sarcasm>

13. Savor Suspended

Savor

Actually IPS doesn't get any benefit whether white or black backgrounds as the light is still on either way.

I really don't know where the OP is getting the assumptions with better battery. The "s" models were known to get faster but not known for improved battery life. Faster innards in same casing usually results in no battery gains at all or sometimes worse. The Samsung Galaxy S6’s 14nm dye didn't exactly result in a substantial increase from the S5.

Just get the 6s Plus model. Go for the BIGGEST battery even without any BIGGEST jump.

14. 2IS macrumors 68030

He didn't say anything about IPS. He's saying OLED wouldn't yield in improved battery life because iOS isn't a darkly themed OS like Android is, which is where it's power savings come from. Actually being able to turn pixels off.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't know if force touch is ready for a phone yet, unless they are going to jump from iPhone 6 to 7. Plus lets say they do implement it the next cycle, is that a first gen feature you want. I can see a lot of bugs.

16. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

They did introduce touch ID on the 5S.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

That is not a whole screen tho. Could they do force touch with the current form factor?

18. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

I think "some" of us are under the influence while posting here!:p

19. Savor Suspended

Savor

According the S5 & S6 GSM Arena battery results, the 14nm didn't much to improve the S6 either actually with a 11% decrease in overall score. And I saw a recent review of the S6 and the reviewer wasn't impressed by it saying it sips battery juice faster than the S5. I think some of the issues is Samsung went 2K instead of sticking to FHD and lowering the battery capacity to keep it thin. I believe 2K should only be for devices above 5.5" or tablets and need to pack a minimum of 4000 mAh.

Fortunately, Apple avoids the stupid race for increased resolutions and high ppi screens which aren't efficient or even noticeable for screens under 5.5". Whether they go 14nm with the A9 but increasing clock speeds on both CPU and GPU might still result in a stalemate with battery life. Looking at the s model track record, I really doubt of any substantial gains. Just be grateful Apple may double the RAM this year.

20. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

14nm doesn't tell the whole story. If you did a simple die shrink and stuck the new chip into the S5, then you'd likely see a sizable increase in battery life if everything else remains constant.

But, the S6 also increased the pixel density, decreased the size of the battery, increased the RAM, and went to an octa-core processor (lower clock speeds in a big.LITTLE configuration). Individually, every one of these items potentially decreases the battery life. Added together, they negated whatever power savings came from the die shrink.

Consider that the A8 cut the power consumption from the processor in half, and the vast majority of this reduction came from the 28nm to 20nm die shrink. Apple made the tradeoff on battery life, because it went to a larger and higher resolution screen. They also increased the battery size, and in the end, the 6/6 Plus did increase the battery life compared to the 5/5s.

Also, the A9 likely will entail more than just a die shrink. The A8 had minor architectural changes compared to the A7, so Apple is due for a more substantial revision. Since the screen size and resolution likely won't change on the "6s" the likely outcome will be huge leaps in performance, battery life, or a combination of the two.

As I indicated earlier, I suspect that Apple will hold the battery life constant, and allocate all of the efficiency gains towards greater performance.

21. Trahearne macrumors 6502

Every process node shrink is like having same speed at much lower power or (generally & marginally) higher speed at the same power. But this keeps other factors being constant, while apparently not only the chip designs but also the machines gonna change alongside the new node. At least Apple seems to be a fan of race-to-idle (or sleep) with very few bulky cores, and they do implement it well so far. So it is okie to expect battery life in lightly loaded uses to increase with the new 14nm processor, if the screen is kept constant.

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Wherever your getting your info from, it's just rumours.

Given the casings will be the same, and apple might bump up the CPU, no, the biggest increase was the introduction of the iphone6/s and a bigger case.

----------

Ha ha ha koolaid or alcohol ?

23. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'll drink to that. By the way, please pass that bong around this way. :D

24. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

If they can squeeze it into a watch... possibly. I don't know.

It does seem to be a bit bigger jump than normal for an S cycle. Correct, they haven't changed screens mid cycle either.

We may get a hint at WWDC.

3GS- Speed
    4S- Siri
    5S- Security
    6S- Sensation? Sensitivity? Sense? Screen?