IPhone 6s to 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by josh bear, Oct 30, 2016.

1. josh bear macrumors regular

Hi all

Has anyone made the move from 6s to 7? If yes have you noticed any real world difference?

I am out of contract so my carrier is more than happy to sign me up for another contract and heavily subsidise the 7, which when combined with the sales value of the 6s means I would actually be up financially.

That said my 6s is working fine so thought I would pause and ask.

Thanks

josh

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Not a huge difference in performance and a lot of people seem to prefer the display on the 6s over that on the 7 but for me, the new home button and finish on the jet black were reason enough for me to upgrade.

Ultimately you need to decide what's important and if the improvements in the 7 are enough to justify locking yourself into another contract.

3. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I wasn't going to, but I had a request from family to pass it on (there's a 4s, 5, and 6 still in use).

I'm still in the process of setting it up. I bought it yesterday, and backed up my 6s (but only after waiting hours for iTunes to update), then I had to wait a couple of hours for iOS to update before I could restore it from my 6s backup, and synced 5,678 songs - that only took a couple of hours; the faster storage in the 7, and the USB 3 on my recently bought PC made a huge difference - it took 3 days to transfer the music from my 2011 Mac mini last year!

Now I'm waiting for all the stuff that isn't backed up to download again, and with my slow broadband I'll be lucky if that's finished this time next week.

I love the new home button, and the battery seems better too.

Other than that, it's much the same so far.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Millions moved from the 6S to the 7.

There is a real difference, I think but the choice has to be made by you! Go to your carrier or the Apple Store and check the 7 put. I had my doubt about the new home button but it quickly became of of my favorite features. Other might not agree but I get better images from my 7+ than I did from my 6S+

5. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The biggest advantages are the dual speakers, Haptic home button and larger battery. I have both the 7 and 7 Plus. I think other advantages are improved screen resolution and faster A10 processor.

6. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

The only reason I went from an iPhone 6s to a 7 was the OIS camera, and the A10 processor, which in my opinion is not a very good reason at all. However, what the heck, I had the money. Others may think differently or more wisely than I did. This decision is personal, so it's up to you. For my personal use it is not much of a difference at all except the OIS camera lens.

7. Masood Jamily macrumors newbie

Masood Jamily

wel i don't because my piece of **** Iphone 7 Plus won't ship for another month. **** Apple.
    I am sick of waiting for nothing to get this piece of ****...I don't even want it anymore

8. josh bear thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks All

I am with O2 in the U.K. And the tariff I would go to allows me to refresh the handset next year and taking off what I would sell the 6s for would cost me £459 over the next 12 months whilst staying with the 6s costs me £468 over the same time period. Of course the other advantage is 256 gb vs the 128gb I have now, but rarely have that filled anyway. So almost nothing in it.

Thanks for all the comments. I recognise I am the only one who can make the choice.

9. silverblack, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

10. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

The speakers and water resistance and what not it's a much better 6s 2.0

11. CYKBC macrumors 6502

Marginal gains but then we don't buy apple goods Based purely on reason.

12. kkh786 macrumors regular

kkh786

I moved from a 6s to 7 and would happily recommend others to do the same.
    I can definitely feel the significance in the upgrades from last generation.
    Speed and camera are the most obvious ones.
    The new home button just feels perfect with the taptic feedback.. the mechanical home buttons suddenly feel clunky.
    Also you get those lovely black colours now too. Love the Matt black!
    Water resistance and stereo speakers are big upgrades too.
    I don't use the headphone jack that often so that isn't a shortfall for me.
    Good luck with the decision.

13. josh bear thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again all. Appreciate the insight from people who have made this move.

Regards

Josh

14. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

I upgraded from 6S+ to 7+.

The screen is better, however as screen previously was "too cool" colour temperature it initially appears too yellow even though it is more accurate.
    The taptic feedback is enhanced, it's really cool when you are scrolling through lists, it feels like you are actually scrolling.
    The 2x zoom on the camera is useful, especially as the lack of any optical zoom is the main weakness of cameras on phones these days.
    The Jet Black finish is amazing.
    The change to stereo speakers is immediately noticeable, a nice improvement.
    Water resistance is nice to have, especially in England where it rains a lot.

I've not noticed any difference around the increased speed and extra RAM.

15. chronoflash macrumors member

chronoflash

Come on, be "real", not a "real" difference. Poor improvements that make it "the best iPhone ever made", for sure, since there have been some slight improvements anyway. Just enough for Apple to have launched a new product, "the contract has been fulfilled", they have changed a few things to make it look different from iPhone 6S, enough to say that it is NOT iPhone 6S any longer. But that's all. It's all about marketing. As long as the demand for mediocrity is supported by a flock of sheep, Apple will NOT need to make any effort towards innovation. A device such as a smartphone is for making life easier, more convenient and cooler; now, no such thing with iPhone 7 vs iPhone 6S. Not a gap, far from that. iPhone 7 is just an iPhone 6S and a half that will not tell its name. Open your eyes and let the light brighten your mind ;)

16. Newtons Apple, Nov 1, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2016

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You words seem bitter. Do not like the way Apple does it business, you should move on. I am giving my opinion and very much think the 7 is a very nice device. People like you with your negative comments are dime a dozen. You do have a right to your opinion but it always make me wonder why someone would join a forum just to troll the 7. As you say the 7 only has marginal improvements over your 6S, hope you continue to enjoy it.

17. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

I'm in the uk and I've stuck with my older device simply because the 7 wasn't appealing enough to me. While calculating the cost have you compared with a sim only contract for a year? I'll certainly recommend that.

18. yui4 macrumors 6502

I changed mainly due to the upgrade program coming to the uk for the first time. Sold the 6s+ and got the 7 on the upgrade program.

I wanted to go back to the smaller size as well which was a big factor

19. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I've been sim only for years, ever since I bought my first iPhone on an 18 month contract - a 3GS - 2 months before the 4, with that amazing retina screen, came out. I did some sums, and found the cheapest contract was £90 more than buying a 4S outright and getting the exact same minutes, texts, and data on sim only. As an added bonus, I can upgrade whenever I like, and since sim only contracts tend to be shorter - there are many 30 day - I can change provider more often too.

20. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I you re-up the contract, how long before you're eligible for a new phone?

21. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

I have been on sim only since the iPhone 4 days as well. I like to just buy my phone and switch carriers depending on the deals available. It's more flexible and at almost similar or less expense.

22. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

Generally it's always at least 2 years.

23. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If that is the case, I'd think hard about re-upping next year instead of this year.

But what does it mean re:rates if you are not 'signed up' right now?

24. vukashinp macrumors newbie

vukashinp

I currently have an 6S and i am not thinking about to take iPhone 7. There is no more real differences between tho.

25. akash.nu macrumors 68030

akash.nu

If you don't upgrade a phone contract then there is an option to either sign a sim only contract or monthly rolling contract. It's less than half price and lot more minutes, texts and data included.