Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielvanc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Isle of Wight, U.K
Hi, I was on holiday recently and while away, the touch ID stopped working on my iPhone 6S. I went into the settings and checked the fingerprints were all ok and even tried adding another but it is unresponsive when I place a finger/thumb on the sensor. I noticed the home button got very hot to touch while charging 1 time, so maybe that burnt out the sensor? I was wondering what my options are to get it working again? I've tried a complete restore but to no luck. Should I book an appointment at the apple store? Anyone else's touch ID sensor stop working for no reason on their 6s?

Many thanks

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Yes, just booked an appointment for them to look at it. Weirdly, they did a test online and their reports came back that all was working ok. Which it blatently isn't when using the device.

That online test is just a simple litmus test for obvious faults. Your issue needs to be tested in person.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
My iPhone 6s Plus Touch ID stopped working this morning. It will no longer learn my fingerprint at all, erasing the previous pattern learned each time you move your finger. Will have it repaired. Hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :eek:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
My iPhone 6s Plus Touch ID stopped working this morning. It will no longer learn my fingerprint at all, erasing the previous pattern learned each time you move your finger. Will have it repaired. Hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :eek:

Are you going to use Apple services?

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
Apple will probably replace it. My TouchID failed on a three month old 6S I had (I was the only owner) and they swapped it out no questions asked. Well, they did check for water damage, but other than that, no issues.

danielvanc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2011
Isle of Wight, U.K
Apple will probably replace it. My TouchID failed on a three month old 6S I had (I was the only owner) and they swapped it out no questions asked. Well, they did check for water damage, but other than that, no issues.
That's interesting. They said to me i'm better off replacing the handset for another at £289 as replacing that module is quite likely to break other parts. Decided to wait it out and see about getting 1 of the new 1s this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.