iPhone 6S vs. 7?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AceC, Jun 18, 2017.

1. AceC macrumors member

I'm planning to upgrade from the iPhone 5S that I've had for 3.5 years. The main reason I'm buying one is that I just purchased an Apple watch and wanted a newer phone to go with it, as mine is slow, has battery issues, and now seemed as good as ever of a time to upgrade.

I'm really eyeing the iPhone 7, but I'm not sure if it is different or better enough from the 6S to grant spending the extra money on.

For those of you who are more familiar with both of these models or have one of them, what would you suggest? Also, would one model be better suited for the Apple watch?

Thanks.

2. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

They both work with Apple Watch the same way.

iPhone 7 for me has some great additions; brighter screen, Taptic Engine, better camera (front as well?), stereo speakers, extra speed (although 6S isn't slow as far as I know).

Best of all; Jet Black. Makes the design look and feel very different.

3. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

OP if you can somehow hang in there until the new iPhones are released in a few months, the 7 may get a price cut. Or keep an eye on sales now

4. aakshey, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017

aakshey macrumors regular

aakshey

The advantages of 7 over 6s:

40% faster CPU
    Faster GPU
    Much bettery battery life
    Better waterproofing
    Better camera
    Better (And stereo) speakers
    Better looking and better colors, perhaps lighter
    More storage
    Almost no price difference

6s over 7:

The headphone jack

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Based on some searching recently - the 6s is getting harder to find. I was very happy with my 6s until I trashed it, but it looks like I will be getting the 7 at Sams in a few days when it goes on sale.

6. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Go for the 7, better camera, hardware, matte black (if u like it), no visble ugly antenna lines (looks much better because the antenna lines are concealed). Stereo speakers, no headphone jack.

7. Primus67 macrumors newbie

I must say that I feel the differens between 6S and 7 as very big. One thing is that the battery life is so much better. For me that's a deal breaker. And on top of that, its faster, better camera, better screen, much better speaker and some kind of waterproof.

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Just saw that Best Buy online has some 6S inventory left at $200 off.

9. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Agree with the above comment, except for the best color of all is Red or product red, which is overshadowing jet black as red is the most beautiful, eye catching and attention getter than jet black. Jet black is just like a common regular phone color, nothing special like red.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 18, 2017 ---
    Agree with the above comment.

10. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Even though the 7 will come down in price after the Sept keynote, if you need to have the 3.5mm jack...that's a big reason to get the 6s.

Having the ability to charge the phone while using the earphones matters to me.

Ymmv of course.

11. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Freakonomics101

Not sure if this gives you an idea of anything and may not mean much as both devices we have are on iOS 11 beta 1.

I have a 7+... my battery life is at 60%.

My fiancé has a 6s+. His died an hour ago. We are at MIS for the NASCAR race and we have both been taking a lot of photos and videos. Fiance’s iPhone was even restored to 10 then installed iOS 11 beta 1, so a clean install. Little to no improvement. My 7+ hasn’t had a clean install since I think 10.3

I love the battery life as well as the clean and efficient processor on the 7+

12. sunapple macrumors 65816

sunapple

Red is slippery, like the other ordinary anodized aluminum options, white front is not pretty in my opinion. Jet Black makes the phone into one seemless, sleek and classy device. Nothing like it.

Nah man, just kidding. Don't take it too seriously it's just a color :D

13. Math889 macrumors 65816

Oh , I always use my EarPods when I recharge my iPhone 6S+ . That's a big deal over the 7.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 18, 2017 ---
    If you want to get the 7, then , wait until September when Apple drops the price.
    However , if you want a new iPhone now , get the 6S and you will save $100. The 6S has the A9 ,2gb,3D touch , and other goodies that the 7 has.Its up to you

.If you really care about the 3.5 mm headphone jack , go for the 6S , but , U have to buy Until September because the 6s will probably be discontinued .7 will be the low cost model without the 3.5mm headphone jack .
    I tested the 7 vs 6S , both phones are the same . It's up to you , you have to decide by your own.

14. fartnugget213 macrumors member

I am quite happy with my 7+ coming from the 6S.

If I could go back however, I might have gotten the 4.7" 7. The plus model gets tiresome in some situations.

Stereo speakers are worth it to me though! I consume a lot of media so just that alone makes it more enjoyable.

15. Arcontia macrumors regular

This, no one hardly talks about this feature in the 7 series, but it's one of my favourites.

If you like listening to music or watching videos in bed late at night, then the stereo Speakers are a huge benefit. The quality is great, and the volume levels....yeah Apple didn't lie, 2x louder than the 6s alright! It's fantastic. For watching news videos, playing music...

The 6s Speakers are horrible, they're so tinny...but then again, if you don't listen to music or videos aloud, then all of this is irrelevant, but if not, then it's a massive upgrade

16. nicobelg, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017

nicobelg macrumors newbie

nicobelg

In general, the more recent the Iphone the faster it is. It will also have updates for longer. :)

17. geta macrumors 6502a

Dont play the waiting game nonsense, always new models will come out, if you need new phone now, go and get it based on whats available-cost-your needs. At this point i would go with either SE or 7 over the 6s, unless you can get really good deal for it.

18. Arcontia macrumors regular

Just to add to the above, if OP is (I don't know) convinced in his entirety that the 7 has enough new features for their needs, then actually at this stage I would recommend waiting until the start of September.

The 7 will get a price cut and it will be direct, unlike waiting for a few weeks (or months) for the new ones to ship. At this stage you're paying full price for almost a year old phone but that's just my 2c

19. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Price depends on region and subsidy.

I'm getting a 6s 128GB today for free rolled into my plan. It'll be nearly a year before the 7 becomes that cheap here, even as last years phone.

20. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Who gives a phone for free? (without adding the cost into the monthly cost somehow)???

My plan was to wait until Wed and get a 7 from Sam's with a $150 gift card. But, free..... let me know how you do that.

21. iicanada macrumors newbie

iicanada

I also went from a 5s to a 6s before i got my 7 and it was a great phone, if you get the larger memory you're still working with an excellent 2gb of ram on the 6s and a great camera and if you like your headphone jack you can keep that. the 7+ is amazing with the camera and the 3gb of ram and such but they're both very solid phones.

22. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

My wife and I upgraded from our 5s phones to 6s about 4 months ago and if I had it to do over again, I would have taken the 7 instead. But I didn't, and the 6s is a very good phone and I am not going to be in any hurry to buy another phone for quite awhile.

23. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Wait for the next iPhone if you can. If not the 7 for sure, better battery, camera and screen.