iPhone 6s vs iPhone 7 camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndySchneider, Dec 5, 2016.

1. AndySchneider macrumors newbie

Thinking of upgrading my current phone to either iPhone 6s or iPhone 7 but cannot decide. Obviously the 7 has some improvements over the 6s (thought the latter is cheaper), but I'm mostly interested in the camera performance.

I've been looking at various forums, especially on Apple's website, where many are complaining about the quality of iPhone 7's camera.

What's your opinion on the iPhone 7's camera? Is it much improved compared to iPhone 6s?

Thanks in advance!

2. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

The jump in photo quality between the iPhone 6s and iPhone 7 is negligible based on conditions. In optimal outdoor lighting, the photos are very comparable.

Indoors and in low-light, the iPhone 7 is a little better.

The game changer would be the telephoto lens, but that is a plus only feature.

3. AndySchneider thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

The Plus models are too big for my liking, so it'll be the 4.7 models I'll be looking to buy.

4. dreamsound macrumors newbie

My experience is the optical image stabilization in the 7 makes a *huge* improvement in video quality. Especially in low light when zoomed. It's rock solid.

The FaceTime camera also has much higher resolution.

I'd get the 7 for those reasons alone.

5. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i have a question. are you going to be using the camera for any paid work? if so a mirrorless or dslr would be a better option.

6. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

Like @anonymous guy said, the camera difference between the 6s and 7 is negligible. I have not noticed a difference in real world comparisons. If you're looking to save some money, then the 6s certainly is a viable option.

If you want the latest and greatest, get the 7.

7. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Perhaps. But the advantage lies with the 10x Zoom. Some of the pictures I have taken from afar would not have been possible through the 6s. And with various lighting, the 7 takes better photographs and Much improved low light photographs.

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i have one other option.

keep your 6s and get a dslr.

look on canons refurbished page. they have great cameras and they still hold their standard 1yr warranty.

9. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

People complained about the 6S camera too, and it is extremely similar to that of the i7.

10. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

About the same except the 7 is notably better in low light and also videos are alot more stable and crisp on the 7 vs the 6s. That's it though

11. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Iphone 7 is noticeably better at low light. That's it. Definitely not worth the premium to my opinion.

12. ipulsecases Suspended

ipulsecases

i don't find anything better in 7 plus , but there is a portrait mode , which is a killing

13. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

Go for iPhone 6S more VFM product

14. nordique macrumors 6502a

It's really not worth the $ to upgrade from last gen to current gen iPhone imho but if you have the cash and can justify it then just go for it OP and dont think twice

This years iPhone was the most iterative update yet...I was able to afford it and I simply wanted it so I bought it. My justification was mostly "new colour, new toy, me want"

Smart? Well probably not, I don't even use it as my primary phone (S7 is a superior device for my uses) and I spent a lot of dough to get it. But I am very fortunate to be able to afford it and not worry about it. If that's the case for you then scratch that itch; we only live once.

If that's not the case for you, then don't spend the money...save it towards something else that will be more useful maybe next years MacBooks or your gas money for the year or something.

practically speaking it is a very, very iterative update over the 6s

My opinion, OP

15. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Wrong. This 6s Plus has nothing to do with value for the money over the 7 Plus camera. The 6s Plus doesn't offer the 10x zoom, hence why I indicated the 7 Plus takes better low light pictures and has the enhanced zoom.

16. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

You are wrong,OP is talking about iPhone 6S vs iPhone 7 and not about iPhone 7 Plus :mad:

17. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Wrong again. You must not like to read, Because I quoted @anonymous guy post, not the OP. @anonymous guy mentioned the telephototo lens was a Plus only feature, which I elaborated on. Keep trying.

18. thekb macrumors 6502a

I've got a 6s+ and honestly haven't really researched the 7+ much, but I think the 10x zoom you are referring to consists of the 2x optical zoom and 5x digital zoom, is that right? If so, you are overstating the effect.

5x digital zoom is mostly worthless. All it does is crop the photo, which you can do yourself after the fact. The 2x optical zoom (aka real zoom), is an excellent differentiater, but it is definitely not really 10x.