iPhone 6s water damage?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Berthacrowley, May 28, 2016.

1. Berthacrowley macrumors member

Berthacrowley

My husband went to put his 6s on the bedside table last night while half asleep & accidentally dropped it into his water glass. It was only in the water for 3-5 seconds & we immediately removed the case & dried it off & it seemed fine. This morning it started acting crazy/stopped working. He went to Apple store, they opened it up & saw the water damage sensor had been triggered & said his only option was $299 replacement. He got the new phone but I'm just wondering, I thought the 6s phones had an additional rubber seal inside that made the phones almost waterproof. I've seen multiple videos on YouTube where the 6s phones are left in a sink full of water for hours with the timer running to no ill effect. Is this just extremely bad luck that a few seconds in a water glass could ruin an iPhone 6s?

2. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Yep just bad luck unfortunately. The rubber seal may protect from a splash but not a drop into water. Also those test videos are pretty meaningless. They normally just lay the phones into the water carefully. That isn't likely to be the way phone normally get wet in real world use.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I wouldn't call it extremely bad luck. The phone isn't marketed to be water resistant in any way. You'll notice that you typically don't see or hear about the phones hours or days after they've been submerged in those videos. corrosion is the big killer here and they can happen hours, days, or weeks after a submersion incident.

Sorry for the loss. My wife washed my jeans on iPhone 4 launch night, and of course the phone was I the pocket (this "never" happens). At least we didn't have to pay out of pocket full msrp!