iPhone 6s weirdness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghanwani, Nov 12, 2015.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

Just bought an iPhone 6s this evening. I got an unlocked one. It was nice to find that it came with a sim card removal tool. :)

The first surprise I encountered was that it had iOS 9.0.2 on the phone and as result was unable to restore the phone from my latest backup. The last full backup it could restore from was in September. So I decided to skip that step and instead installed it as a new device.

I then immediately updated to iOS 9.1.

Upon reboot, I found I had a voice message. When I played the message, I found that I was unable to toggle the "Speaker" button next to the message as it was playing. As my finger came near to the button (not yet even touching the phone), the whole screen would start flashing. If I tried to hit the button, it wouldn't work. I could only toggle the button when the message was done playing.

So a few questions for the gurus on here:
    - Why did it come with 9.0.2 pre-loaded instead of 9.1. Is that expected?
    - Is there a way for me to now import my setting from the last backup?
    - Is the flashing that I experienced while listening to voicemail normal? Is this something due to the 3D touch screen?

I am pretty happy with my 5s. I only caved in and bought the 6s because I recently moved and have very poor reception from AT&T and I wanted to get wifi calling. I could have switched to T-Mobile, but from what I've been hearing the service is still poor in rural areas and I didn't want to give them my SSN just to try out the service.

Thanks.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

iOS is installed on devices at some point after prosecution, so it's not all that uncommon for a slightly older update to be on the device.

Now that you have updated to the latest version you can restore as new and use the backup that you have to restore from.

3. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ended up returning the phone. I'll probably get another in a couple of weeks, hopefully not defective and with iOS 9.1 so my restore-from-backup works without needing an upgrade.

4. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

If you want to try out T-Mobiles service without giving them your SS number, just grab a prepaid SIM card and use that in your 5S for a few days. This should give you a pretty good idea of what their coverage is like around your area.