Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
It is different from current Macs?
on wifi ac i get full signal on my imac and macbooks, but on my iphone or ipads not so strong signal.Same distance for all of them

I suppose the chipsets from ios devices are different from Macs?

iphone 6s/ipad air 2- Macbook/iMac/Macbook Pro

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It is different from current Macs?
on wifi ac i get full signal on my imac and macbooks, but on my iphone or ipads not so strong signal.Same distance for all of them

I suppose the chipsets from ios devices are different from Macs?

iphone 6s/ipad air 2- Macbook/iMac/Macbook Pro

There is more to it than just the chip set. The antenna has much to do with it.

Reactions: freedomisle

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
The wifi hotspot on all macs is the worst. My 5S was horrid as is the 6 and 6S. With the new 300mbps I was hoping they had fixed it but I forgot Apple hates data users so I doubt they ever will.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
i tried with a Note 4 and same problem, never got full wifi signal on 5ghz band
so i guess its all about the antenna

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
The wifi hotspot on all macs is the worst. My 5S was horrid as is the 6 and 6S. With the new 300mbps I was hoping they had fixed it but I forgot Apple hates data users so I doubt they ever will.

Apple hates data users? I hadn't read that anywhere? My phone lets me consume plenty of data!

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Alternatively it's your router. Remember 5GHz has a very small range and doesn't travel through walls/doors etc well.
i have the Time Capsule...so if all my macs had full signal and all my smartphones doesn't have...i am pretty sure because of the small antennas from the smartphones and the wifi chip

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Testing at home using speed test 5s used to max out at 100 down. My 6s maxes out at 120. Don't see what the issue is.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

All the android phones I've had are fast and as good as a wireless router

Yet you continue to buy their products and complain. Fancy that. Perhaps Android would be a better fit?

I've never had a connectivity issue on my iPhone. Ever. 3G on up to the current model.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
common guys, peace on Earth
i didn't know why smartphones don't have full signal on the 5ghz band and why my macs has full on the same distance
i thought that is an iOS or the wifi chips from manufacture the problem but ive tested with 1 android and same thing, with 1 line below max
So it must to be the antennas power ,its obvious that in any macs you have more room for a better hardware chip
ive watched tear down and it is size difference

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
common guys, peace on Earth
i didn't know why smartphones don't have full signal on the 5ghz band and why my macs has full
i thought that is an iOS or the wifi chips from manufacture the problem but ive tested with 1 android and same thing, with 1 line below max
So it must to be the antennas power ,its obvious that in any macs you have more room for a better hardware chip
ive watched tear down and it is size difference

It's more likely an issue with how much power is being used (cell phones being much more sensitive to radio power usage vs a laptop) and antennae design (again, laptops having much more flexibility in designing a more effective antennae).

Anandtech (http://www.anandtech.com/show/9686/the-apple-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-review/14) says the chip is the same as in the current MacBook, in any case.

C

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
Yet you continue to buy their products and complain. Fancy that. Perhaps Android would be a better fit?

I've never had a connectivity issue on my iPhone. Ever. 3G on up to the current model.

Well then you aren't using the wifi hotspot. Everything else works great. I use iPhone and android

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Well then you aren't using the wifi hotspot. Everything else works great. I use iPhone and android

I use my phone's wifi hotspot. What is the issue? It worked better than the one on my android.

Subwaymac

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
Illinois
I use my phone's wifi hotspot. What is the issue? It worked better than the one on my android.

It's slow, the signal is so weak it has to be just a few feet away to work right etc.

I've called Apple and the guy I talked to said his was the same way.

Oddly it seems to connect to Apple devices better than let's say a google tv box or Xbox one. Android hotspots work better as I've been using different hotspots for 5 years

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
It's slow, the signal is so weak it has to be just a few feet away to work right etc.

I've called Apple and the guy I talked to said his was the same way.

Oddly it seems to connect to Apple devices better than let's say a google tv box or Xbox one. Android hotspots work better as I've been using different hotspots for 5 years

I haven't had an issue. My kids get a strong signal from my 6 and now 6s plus. They stream Netflix and YouTube from it without issue. Sometimes on of my kids's iPads won't connect to it but range and signal isn't the issue. Once it connects there's no issue.

I'll admit, I don't sit and run speed tests on their iPad via hotspot...as long as it works for steaming then I'm happy.

We do have home internet for our x box so I don't use hotspot for it.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Yeah I agree when it connects it works fine but that seems to be rare

It's only one out of like 587853 iPads we have had that has had this issue. I don't feel that it is a "hot spot" issue. I suspect it is a software issue on the iPad since the others are fine. The reception looks fine and it can see it fine...it just says it can't connect over and over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.