iPhone 6s with lightning earpods problem

megagene

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2016
So I got my hands on a pair of them newfangled earpods with a lightning connector, and the first thing I noticed was that when plugging them into my iPhone 6s, it didn't wake the screen and show the music app widget like it does when I plug in the older earpods with the 3.5mm plug. It still plays my music where it last left off when I hit the play button on the remote, but I'd prefer it if it would also wake up the phone/screen with the music app on screen like it used to. Is this just an pre iPhone 7 thing, or does the screen not wake up when you plug lightning earpods into an iPhone 7 either? Is there something I need to enable in the settings menu? Any help would be appreciated. :)

megagene

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2016
When I plug the lightning earpods onmy 7 Plus, doesn't do anything. I think that's standard for the 7's.
That's weird. So it only worked with 3.5mm headphones? Why would they take that feature away? It was handy. You'd think that if they want to make the push toward forcing you to use lightning/bluetooth headphones, they wouldn't make the transition more awkward than necessary by taking away something that you had before (besides the headphone jack itself, of course, lol). Oh well, thanks for replying.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
When I use the adapter it opens music on lock screen.
You mean the small dongle that came with the 7 and using the 3.5 mm? If so that may be the case and I Haven't tried that but doing the direct lightning earpod to the lightning port doesn't do anything as I have to go open the music app on my 7 Plus.

Reactions: jgelin

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
You mean the small dongle that came with the 7 and using the 3.5 mm? If so that may be the case and I Haven't tried that but doing the direct lightning earpod to the lightning port doesn't do anything as I have to go open the music app on my 7 Plus.
Yes. My dongle does open music app. Lightning headphones appear to do nothing when plugged in. Likely a bug.

megagene

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2016
You have to make sure that the Siri app suggestions widget is on for that to work. There's a thread in the iOS 10 section where someone found that.
But I do have the Siri app suggestions widget on, so I don't think that's it.