iPhone 7+ 256GB MB WiFi BAD!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by n1fte, Sep 23, 2016.

1. n1fte, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

n1fte macrumors newbie

n1fte

Ever since I received by brand new AT&T 7+ 256GB MB iPhone, I've noticed that the WiFi in the phone wasn't acting right. I have a high speed wireless network where I live and have never had problems with my iPhones before. As I was restoring my previous iPhone image to the new phone and the phone was downloading apps, I noticed that it was really slow and then would just stop working. A turn off of WiFi and then turning it back on would make it go again for a bit, but it would quit again after a bit.

Doing speed tests would be erratic as well, however, on my wife's 6S, things were fine. I noticed ping time latency of the 7+ to go from 2ms to beyond 6000ms with 25-50 percent packet loss with the phone on and plugged in. My wife's 6S got 2ms-100ms with NO packet loss.

I also discovered the hissing people are complaining of is actually the WiFi radio transmitter at the top of the phone. While doing the speed tests, it would hiss like crazy. After the test completed, it would settle down. If I turn WiFi off, the hiss goes away even if I use a CPU intensive app. Turn WiFi back on...hissing. Speed test...big time hissing!

I can't have a phone where the WiFi is this unstable. I will return it to Apple for replacement as soon as there is enough stock. I wish I had kept my 6S at this point.

Anyone else having this issue?

2. eyerolls macrumors member

eyerolls

My 32GB iphone 7+ will not keep a wi-fi connection. It drops off after 15-30 seconds constantly, preventing things from downloading or uploading many times. It's not my connection either, as my laptop, AppleTV, and other phones work fine. I'm worried and pissed because it may be a month before any of us can get a replacement if this is a hardware defect.

3. n1fte thread starter macrumors newbie

n1fte

Yup...this is incredibly annoying. I've been posting in the buzzing/hissing forum as well and it seems the WiFi radio along with the cellular radio is generating RF interference that is being picked up by the rear microphone when people are recording videos. Between that and the unstable WiFi, I'll bet Apple will be replacing a lot of phones eventually. What a shame!

I am hoping, however, that the WiFi stability issue could be fixed with a software update.

4. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

I have a 7+ AT&T 256 and am not seeing the same issues that you are. Now the initial cloud restore was slow, but that's not a wifi issue. I have had great wifi on mine.

[​IMG]

5. n1fte thread starter macrumors newbie

n1fte

I can get the same speeds...but not all the time. Run that same test 10 times in a row and tell me if it is consistent (within reason). My issue is not one of speed when running the test, it is that the connection isn't stable.

6. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

I have had a similar issue with my 6S but it was mostly crappy performance. I ended up resetting network settings to correct it. Worth a try.

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

No consistency issues for me. Maybe try to reset network settings or your backup corrupting something. Could be hardware issue also.

[​IMG]

8. n1fte thread starter macrumors newbie

n1fte

Must be a hardware issue. Neither resetting network setting nor a restore to factory settings and setting up as a new iPhone correct the issue. Thanks for posting though. Apparently not every phone has the issue.

9. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

10. BLuRRnAWAY macrumors newbie

This post brought to my attention that I am having the same issue. I have not had a stable wifi connection because I'm on the road, all networks I have connected too have been unsecured, 2 bar. However, after 15-30 seconds the connection would drop.

I reset the network setting and I also went to settings > general > cellular > wifi assist off and that solved my problem.

I think the two bar, unsecured network was not stable enough to hold my wifi causing it to drop and switch to LTE.

I'm going to test it more when I get home on my wifi with the wifi assist on.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 24, 2016 ---
    I just called apple and told them, if anyone is having issues call asap so they see a patterned issue and address it for us!

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

And I thought my 100 Mbps down was fast.

12. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

My goodness. What company do you use and how much do you pay if you don't mind me asking? I'm with cox and thought my 50 mbps was fast o_O

13. StophMac24 macrumors 6502

StophMac24

I am having similar issues as well at work with our wifi. I checked other people's iphones and they have wifi working just fine. I am on 10.1 Beta.

14. Rafterman macrumors 68000

It seems OK. I had to download about 60GB of Audible files over wifi and it took about 6 hours and zero stops or hiccups. Same as my iPhone 6S Plus.

15. keisa macrumors newbie

So I was having this very same issue on Saturday right after my phone was delivered. I even drove to a fast food spot with free wifi to see if I was having the same issue, I was. Connect, dropped, connect again. Overnight the issue just vanished and it's been behaving perfectly.

16. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

At&T verse gigapower, about $70 a month, but its bundled with tv. Get about 900 down wired.

17. PeasgoodNonsuch macrumors member

Mine looks good too.

Attached Files:

18. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Do you have CDMA Sprint or Verizon 7+ Which use the Qualcomm X12 WiFi and Cell Radio Chipset ?

Or Do you have a GSM at&t T-Mobile which use the XMM 7360 from Intel ? which is Intel first attempt and they basically gave the chipsets away to Apple just to get in competition with Qualcomm

19. PeasgoodNonsuch macrumors member

Are you just speculating?

20. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

those are the actual chips no guessing here.

21. PeasgoodNonsuch macrumors member

Sorry not talking about the chipsets but the comment about Intel just giving away chips to Apple.

22. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

He's only familiar with his Samsung paycheck.

23. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Wifi is blistering fast here and at the office. No problems.

Black 256gb 7+