iPhone 7 4.7 will still have 720 screen??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, May 2, 2016.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

It seems that it will have the same has the 6
    and I have no clue about what the Pro could be about.
    If it would cost the same as a plus but then it would not make sense if it costs $850 off contract for a phone that is not much more advance than last year's.
    Think about it...It's like buying a new car every year but the only differences will be tiny.
    Phones should be something that needs to be updated massively just like the iPhone 4 was to the 3GS so people can be happy to own a phone for 2 years without feeling cheated.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Doesn't seem like anyone would really know (at least not anyone that would be discussing it in places like this).

3. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Possibly. A new 9to5 Mac report says the battery sizes might not move up much, so I doubt Apple can put a QHD and FHD display on both 2016 models. There is only so much optimization you can do with software. They need a significant hardware bump to keep up with Samsung.

4. Jetro macrumors regular

Jetro

5. Squirreladd macrumors member

Squirreladd

If they do not bump battery bumping the screen means more battery being used for more pixels the SoC has to work harder and thus uses more battery. If they bump it unless they make a magic new SoC that uses barely any power at all they would see a noticeable drop in battery life.

6. MacRazySwe macrumors 6502a

The resolution of the 4.7" is one area where Apple could really step up their game.

The HTC One from 2013 with a Full-HD display says hello.

That said, I still wouldn't trade my iPhone 6 4.7" for a plus-sized phone, even though it offers a better display.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

I agree, there is no recent phone with a bad display. The screen will never be a reason I dont upgrade.

8. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

Funny that you should say that differences will be tiny if they don't bring a higher resolution. Trust me, the difference would be tiny if they did. This is coming from somebody who owns a phone which is 518ppi. I look at an iPhone screen and I think, there's nothing wrong with this screen. Because there isn't. It's really not a big deal.

9. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Well, I have a HTC One M7 and I notice the difference. Sadly I thought I wouldn't, when I decided to buy my 6s because the specs finally where decent.

10. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

No, it's actually 750hp, with a hemi-engine under the hood.

11. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

compare that to a HTC 10....lol

apple has too much catching up to do. get used to declining sales.

12. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

pray tell us, how exactly we do that. what's the golden algorithm?

13. got556 macrumors 6502

got556

If they could offer a true "night mode" where all whites in the OS were black, and all text was white and what have you, while simultaneously using an OLED or the likes they could HEAVILY mitigate battery life and battery capacity.

14. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

What apple needs to do is to ramp up the 4.7" iphone to the plus model specs, i mean, why we should loose some functionality in the standard iphone if we don't like bigger phones, OIS for example...

Now apple wants to bring dual camera to the iphone 7... wait, only in the plus model? give 4.7" users some love ...

15. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

Super amoled display with 4k resolution please :D

16. bushido Suspended

bushido

MacBook will be running iOS before that happens :D

17. af21187 macrumors 6502

They should have some advancement in screen technology considering they've done it every 2 years. If they don't, i will not upgrade.

18. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Specs have nothing to do with sales. Working in wireless, I can tell you that 80 percent of customers coming in are leaving with the iPhone. It doesn't matter what screen resolution the Android devices have. Do they have iMessage, FaceTime, or the ease of iCloud to backup and restore? As long as the answer to those questions is no, Android will never touch iPhone in sales.

People outside of tech forums don't even know what 720p is. It looks good to them. Apple could put a 720p display in every iPhone from now through 2020 and most consumers wouldn't know or care.

It's all about the software experience. Apple has locked up its customer base for life. They can do anything they want with hardware and the iPhone will still sell.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, in a sense they did that with 3D Touch last year. As far as something beyond that, they might do it with this release, or depending on the advancement perhaps the timing would be more along the lines of 3 years this time around.

20. cynics macrumors G3

I can see a difference in higher resolutions but not enough to care. I'm more interested in colors and contrast, what I notice the most on a AMOLED screen are how nice the blacks look.

I feel the same way about 4K. The resolution looks pretty good especially if you are sitting close....but that HDR, that's what really catches my eye.

Apple has a hell of a time fighting the consumers urge to compare specs on a graph rather then just appreciating how nice something is in real life conditions. Now I'm not saying a higher megapixe...err resolution isn't nice there are just other things that go into screen tech..

21. nj-morris macrumors 68000

nj-morris

My thoughts exactly. Things like screen size and screen technologies are WAY more important than resolution in my opinion. The improvement in viewing experience with higher resolutions is way too small to make a big difference.

22. Kidder1994 macrumors regular

Don't forget quality control of those screens, tired of those fading whites on the top of my 6s screens xd, it's better than those pink hues on AMOLED panels though