Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOSphere

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
I just upgraded, did a clean install. Hoping I didn't make a gigantic mistake with my iPhone 7+. I'm really eager to hang on to my phone for another couple of years and would like this iteration of iOS and next years to "play nice" with my phone.

Please pass along any 'bugginess' that you notice as I would love to compare it to my experience as I begin using it.

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Been running it on my 7plus since june with no real issues aside from the odd app crash due to them not being supported for ios12

Reactions: MacOSphere

MacOSphere

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 8, 2015
Columbus, Ohio
I've been using it for a week and I can say that I agree, I feel like they've cleaned up the 'dropped frames' I noticed with iOS 11.

It's nice to have a smooth user experience again; probably in several iOS releases.

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
My Bluetooth is flaky. Random disconnects, and sometimes refuses to reconnect to my speaker even after restarting both devices and telling my iPhone to forget it - and then the next day it works fine, but my toothbrush loses the connection after less than 2 minutes. It was fine in iOS 10, broke in 11, and isn’t fixed in 12.

Also, when I used the hold the space bar to move the cursor function, the keyboard just crashed. Never seen that before just now!

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
iOS 12 runs peanut buttery smooth on my 7+, no issues whatsoever, it gave it a new life.

Agreed

I’ve been on 10.1, 11.1, 11.3 (all for jailbreak) and leapt to 12.0 because it’s not my only iPhone and it feels really really smooth for the first time ever

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
When you unlock your phone and there is the home screen animation, does the notification center come down for a split second and then go back up?

VantaNoir

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
When I unlock my phone using touch ID, the animated screen goes up fast which then displays the home page of icons.

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
This is what it looks like...focus on the top of the screen, it happens fast...

Last edited:

VantaNoir

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
I see what you're trying to say. Mine doesn't do that, but if it doesn't affect the overall usability of the phone, I would't worry about it, just my opinion.

yellowbunny

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
After avoiding ios11 completely I finally moved from 10.3.3 last night to 12. I was quite nervous and after skipping 11 and realising that 10 was fine, I thought I might regret it. But... 12 has been brilliant today. Performance is notably improved in terms of responsiveness. I’ve used my phone all day from around 6:30am and currently on 16% battery which is around normal I would say. Super happy with the upgrade!

I should say im on a 7 bought at launch. Had the battery replaced about 3 months ago.

Reactions: VantaNoir

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
I see what you're trying to say. Mine doesn't do that, but if it doesn't affect the overall usability of the phone, I would't worry about it, just my opinion.

I went to the Apple Store (thankfully because I was about to wipe my iPhone) and I tried unlocking a bunch of older generation phones like the 8/plus and even found a 7 plus, and they all had it. I'm not sure how you would not have it but I guess you are lucky. Did you change any accessibility settings by any chance? Heck, I even tried unlocking the Xs and it had it too although it was so quick it was really really hard to pick up.

For the record, @ all, this is what I'm referring to... focus at the top of the screen

wa2be

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2016
iOS 12 has been super smooth on my 7, with the exception of one recurring problem: it randomly decides it doesn't want to use the custom ringtones I purchased from iTunes for things like texts and reminders and instead reverts to the system default for those items, even though the purchased tones are still checked. My phone never did this on iOS 10 or 11. It's a minor problem, but very difficult to fix. Otherwise, iOS has been very good on my phone.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I went to the Apple Store (thankfully because I was about to wipe my iPhone) and I tried unlocking a bunch of older generation phones like the 8/plus and even found a 7 plus, and they all had it. I'm not sure how you would not have it but I guess you are lucky. Did you change any accessibility settings by any chance? Heck, I even tried unlocking the Xs and it had it too although it was so quick it was really really hard to pick up.

For the record, @ all, this is what I'm referring to... focus at the top of the screen

I get the same thing. I never noticed it before because I usually have animations turned off.

However, this may be expected behaviour. With the animations turned off, you'll see the lock screen for a split second before it scrolls up out of the way.

Reactions: nmeed

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
My 7 is a bit faster and same battery as iOS 11 but I’ve been having a problem losing cellular data with att ever since the update. Only way to fix is a reboot. Very annoying. It’s either Att or iOS 12.

VantaNoir

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2017
I get the same thing. I never noticed it before because I usually have animations turned off.

However, this may be expected behaviour. With the animations turned off, you'll see the lock screen for a split second before it scrolls up out of the way.

I guess I don't notice anything because I have a solid black background for the front and main screen. I keep it solid black for battery efficiency. I tweaked my phone to the max to get the best battery life I can get out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.