iPhone 7 & 7 Plus antenna band colors

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by formerpc, Sep 14, 2016.

1. formerpc macrumors 6502

I don't know about you, but I'm curious, and slightly annoyed, why Apple didn't make the antenna bands for Silver, Gold, and Rose Gold blend in as well as they did on Black and Jet Black. Anyone else?

2. unglued macrumors member

Metal in those colors affects signal response.

3. formerpc thread starter macrumors 6502

Huh? How does adding dye to the plastic affect the signal?

4. unglued, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

unglued macrumors member

Similar to tinted windows they mix a metallic additive into the plastic to reflect UV. Auto tint shops will say "don't worry about signal loss using phones, GPS, etc. in the car we use high quality 3M products".

Probably true no issues but the antenna is one of the most critical components to any phone so blending the antenna into a metallic coating (iPhone metallic colors) may weaken signal strength, hope that makes sense.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

In today's world there are more than likely ways to color plastic/rubber/etc. pretty much with any color without metallic (or some other) additives, if desired.

6. unglued, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

unglued macrumors member

Yes we're assuming the past model colors are similar. My last trip to Shenzhen we were able to magnetize coating dust from several phones not only iPhones.

7. formerpc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's interesting... wouldn't think you could do that.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm not really assuming anything as much as saying if Apple wanted to do it they more than likely could.