iPhone 7/7 Plus display resolutions?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jetcat3, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Jetcat3 macrumors 6502

Have y'all heard any rumors about this? Really hoping for a bump at least on the 7 to 1080P. That's about my only complaint so far with the 6s.

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

Doubt it. It will most likely be the same resolution, same screens. Next year is the rumored year of the switch to AMOLED... and I am sure there will be a resolution bump at that point. Apple will likely jump to 2K screens while Android will move to 4K screens.... LOL.

3. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I doubt the resolution will change as they do not appear to be changing the design. But we might see the increased brightness and reduced reflectivity from the iPad Pro. That would likely have more of an impact.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Was rumoured it could but with new screens next year maybe it isn't likely

5. Jetcat3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really feel like they have to at this point. Will they? Most likely not.

6. ARizz44, Aug 23, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2016

ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

As much as I prefer the iPhone and Apple products, I find that they won't release something unless they can milk it for all it is worth. I cannot see them upgrading the screens to 1080p and 2K respectively unless they planned to use the same panels in 2017......which takes us to the latest rumor that Apple will only have OLED on a 3rd special edition phone in 2017. If that is indeed factual, then there is a door open for them to bump up the resolution this year. 2 weeks and we should know.

7. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

And how is that important for such a tiny screen size, I will never understand :)

8. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

A 750p res on a 650 dollar iPhone 7 in 2016/17 is honestly comical

9. Jetcat3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Especially when I came from the 6 Plus. The S7 line has spoiled me. I'm a smartphone user that holds my device much closer than 10.5". Retina is typical viewing distances. 750P at 5-7" looks quite bad and very pixelated. I would love retina at all viewing distances and 1080P on a 4.7" display would just about do it. 2K on the Plus model would indeed.

10. ARizz44 macrumors 6502

ARizz44

I for whatever reason cannot tell the difference between the 750p on the 4.7" and the 1080p on the plus. I have tried, over and over to see it (numerous times I have had them concurrently while deciding on the size). Admittedly my eyes suck but with glasses I see as well as the next person I suppose. The only difference I found was that things seemed to look better on the plus due to the larger viewing size. But I definitely recognize that others can clearly see the difference.

11. Jetcat3 thread starter macrumors 6502

The best way I've shown people the difference, is to bring up the calculator app on both displays with the brightness turned up to 100%. Then focus on one specific number on the calculator. I usually tell people the number 5. View the number 5 from 4-6" away on the Plus model, then go the non-Plus model and refocus on that same number 5 at the same viewing distance. If you're unable to tell, it's not a big deal. I'm just hyper sensitive to it. I now can tell the difference between 400 PPI and 500+ although it is extremely small and I have to get extremely close to the displays to tell.

12. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Yeah.. that sounds like a daily usage and is worth increasing ppi for.

While I agree that 750p is really low for a high end iPhone, I just can't see the reason to push for more pixels when it equals worse performance. Yes, I can see the pixels if I want to from really close, but not during regular usage. You won't have more content either, since it will just be scaled 3x instead of 2x. (Or worse yet, some decimal scaling like the plus and none of the UI will be crisp, since it will render sub-pixels)

13. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

You have your smartphone 5" from your face? Why?

14. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah I see the resolutions stating but maybe the trutone display coming.

15. Dave245 macrumors 601

The resolution will most likely stay the same, if Apple are planning OLED for next years iPhone, they wont change it this year as well. What they might do tho is add the iPad's new true tone technology.

16. Jetcat3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hold the phone 5-7" away because I'm viewing content on a 4.7" display now. It was 5.5". I lost roughly 65% of my viewing area. I'm extremely sensitive to PPI and the 750P display looks terrible in comparison to 500 PPI+. No matter what you say this "Retina" display has reminded me of my old MacBook Pro TN LCD display with the 1280 X 800 resolution. It's all about scale and a 4.7" display is quite small to read graphs, charts, ect. I'm still so surprised people on here can't tell the immediate difference there is just with the 6s Plus.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 24, 2016 ---
    That's not daily usage. That's for people who still are not able to see the immediate difference that exists between the 400 PPI of the Plus model and the 325 PPI of the 6s. I can tell the difference at 7-8" away easily!

17. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Geez man 5-7" away from your face is literally less than a hand. You're the exception more than the rule. Knowing that you literally hold your phone that close you should rid your 4.7". The 6s plus is better but you sound like you'd need a 2k screen at least.

18. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

The dual lense model will be wider, not the same resolution.

19. Applefan4 macrumors 6502

When Apple releases QHD screens - everyone here saying that 750p is 'enough' will promptly start praising apple for the amazing screen. It was the same with 1GB of RAM being more than enough thanks to 'optimization', despite the fact that the phone was practically unusable when multitasking.

20. pmau macrumors 65816

Just wanted to mention that the Plus model currently scales down to 1080p while programatically using a higher virtual resolution. This might lead to artefacts if you look at fonts or other elements which are ant-aliased.
    The difference you notice up close might not be due to the different ppi.

This is why I never bought and nor will I ever buy a Plus with constant scaling.
    (Yes, the video player scales to hardware resolution, I know that)

21. cynics macrumors G3

There are other phones that have 1080p screen in a similar size. I mean they don't have dual domain pixels so the viewing angles aren't as good, 3D Touch, anywhere near the max brightness or a full sRGB color space for accurate colors or combination of those things. But since resolution is all that matters to you why not just get one of those phones?

Obviously I'm being sarcastic but you need to consider that stuff. Apple can't increase one spec if it means omitting another. Yes, others have had higher PPI screens (4.7" @ 1080p would be 468 PPI) but haven't done it with all the tech Apple currently has. You wouldn't want a resolution bump if it came with terrible viewing angles or a dimmer screen relative to what we have now.

So Apple needs a new tech and now we are hearing rumors of OLED. Or just get something else, you got to find it strange to wish product A had all the features of product B....just get product B! Lol

22. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

23. cardfan macrumors 65816

You should probably be happy with pixel perfect screens of iphone 6 series. 1080p will mean downsampling like the Plus series. That's not worth the increase. Those pesky iOS limitations are still there. Hopefully they can provide a better higher res solution when they switch to OLED.

24. AppleRobert macrumors 603

No android smartphone with that display gets great battery life, just saying. I rather think most here would not want battery life comprised, just saying. :)

25. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

Yup. Apple sold the iPad 2 for three years. When the iPad 4 came out (and possibly even the iPad Air) people questioned why Apple was still selling the iPad 2 as the discount tier iPad instead of the iPad 3 (and possibly the iPad 4). Apple's response was essentially: the fact that people are still buying the iPad 2 shows there's still a market for it. Obviously people would like the newer models, but like you said, Apple will milk something for all it's worth.