iPhone 7 accelerometer more sensitive?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jk73, Jan 10, 2017.

1. jk73 macrumors 6502

I've been an iPhone owner since Week 1 in 2007. I just upgraded to an iPhone 7 last week, and it's a great device — noticeably faster than my iPhone 6.

One thing that has me slightly puzzled is that this iPhone seems like it's much more sensitive to movement. I immediately noticed that the screen will come on after lifting it or repositioning it only slightly. Is this normal now? I sort of like not having to press the Home button as often, but as someone who typically keeps his iPhone in his back pocket, I'm mildly concerned about having the screen popping on and off too much due to movement. Thanks.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The screen coming on when you pick the phone up is a feature. You can turn it off in settings.

3. jk73 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK; thanks. I still haven't gone into every single section of Settings. (It seemed like a feature, but I wanted to be sure.)

4. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

As mentioned, it a feature to the 6S and 7. If you keep the phone upside down (in a pocket), it doesn't automatically turn on until you turn it right side up so they must be tracking movement and only turning on the screen if it looks like you picked it up.

There's also a accessibility option to do away with clicking the home button to unlock the phone, and instead you just have to be touching the home button. Also saves a click.

5. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

It's defintely normal and is easily triggered. Turning it off will allow for further battery conservation as well.

6. Newtons Apple, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

This lift to wake thing is one of my favorite features.

Accelerometers can also vary from phone to phone as I have carried two identical iPhones and had the steps taken varied by almost 20%

7. jk73 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the additional feedback. It seems like a cool feature. I just wanted to be sure what was going on.

8. nordique macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's awesome. Apple changed that feature with the A9 in the 6s when they embedded the motion coprocessor vs the A8 in the 6 (and A7 before it), it is also what allows you to use the always on "hey Siri" feature by activating Siri hands free with just your voice when disconnected from a power source

9. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Thanks to the M9 Co-Processor, that was achievable. Hands Free Siri is great and the battery life primarily stays untouched with the efficiency.